• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

B I F with 1D MK4 (3 Viewers)

Put some travel photos up next so we can see how the camera performs with 'still' subjects.

Here's a few photos shot with the MK4 that are not about wildlife. I did not bring my polarizer or any filters for that matter. All photos taken handheld. The cathedral and statue pics were taken with ISO 1600. The camera impressed me with its low light capability and excellent pixel quality, even with 100% cropping. If I had a tripod, the photos will be better.

Attachments

• canal.jpg
    canal.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 102
  • cathedral1.jpg
    cathedral1.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 124
  • seaofcortez.jpg
    seaofcortez.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 104
  • statue3.jpg
    statue3.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 92
  • woman.jpg
    woman.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 126
Nice photos. The woman's dress is so colorful and exciting. The MK4's 16 megapixels should be superior to the 1Ds MK2's pixels. Add to that the high ISO capability, it should be able to do double duty as a travel and landscape camera as well with little difficulty.

Thanks for posting the travel photos. I like them especially when shot with the wide angle lens. Generally, tripods are not 'welcomed' inside cathedrals and museums so high ISO capability is a must.

Thanks for posting these non wildlife photos, Michael. The MK4 seems to do just fine as a travel/landscape body as well. Rumor has it the upcoming 1Ds MK4 night have a price reduction. Maybe the 1D MK4 is giving the 1Ds MK4 some unwanted competition?

A few more from the MK4 with the new 70-200mm f/2.8 L II. This camera and lens combo is REALLY good and growing on me.

Attachments

• ptanager1.jpg
    ptanager1.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 157
  • scaup9.jpg
    scaup9.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 155
  • killdeer.jpg
    killdeer.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 214
  • heagle.jpg
    heagle.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 177
  • panda40.jpg
    panda40.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 123
Fantastic set! Love the Panda and Blue and Green bird shots. With the f/2.8 aperture and up to 4 additional stops and the high ISO settings on the MK4, it does sounds like a killer combo.

Lovely shots, Michael. Where was the eagle/hawk shot taken? The Killdeer's wing position is really unusual. :t:

Lovely shots, Michael. Where was the eagle/hawk shot taken? The Killdeer's wing position is really unusual. :t:

The Ornate Hawk Eagle photo was taken in Huatulco, Mexico. Enclosed are a few more pics with the 1D MK4 and the 70-200mm L II. All shots handheld and the hummingbirds were shot under heavily shaded trees and f/2.8 and ISO 2500-3200 were used. I am impressed by the high ISO capability and the Series II lens but for handheld photography with extremely fast subjects like hummers, ISO 3200 is about the maximum usuable limit without getting undue noise. Visit my website to see more photos taken with this combo gear.

Attachments

• bbill1.jpg
    bbill1.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 108
  • blackchin1.jpg
    blackchin1.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 120
  • anna2.jpg
    anna2.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 103
Fantastic Hummer shots, Michael. We are seeing more of these critters here now that Spring is in full swing. Love the 1D MK4 shots. Keep them coming.

A few more pics from the Canon 1D MK4, demonstrating its low light and high ISO performance. All shots are handheld under heavy clouds or during dusk. I will be in Europe for the next few weeks visiting some RSPB sites and doing some travel photography. Now that I am satisfied with the MK4's ability to capture wildlife photos, I want to put it through an extensive travel photo shoot. Will report on its performance upon my return. Visit my website to see the wildlife photos.

http://MichaelDanielHo.com

Attachments

• owl13.jpg
    owl13.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 81
  • owl14.jpg
    owl14.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 93
  • swallow8.jpg
    swallow8.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 107
  • vgswallow.jpg
    vgswallow.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 102
  • rwswallow4.jpg
    rwswallow4.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 67
Returned from my trip to Europe and Britain. Put the MK4 to another few weeks of intensive field test on wildlife and travel photography. All shots were handheld. The travel photos were taken with the 16-35mm f/2.8 L II. The MK4 and 16-35mm are turning out to be a very versatile, all-in-one combo for travel photography for me. Bird photos were shot with the 400mm f/4 DO and 70-200mm f/2.8 L II. Visit my website to see additional photos taken with the MK4.

http://MichaelDanielHo.com

Attachments

• brugge.jpg
    brugge.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 58
  • inveraray.jpg
    inveraray.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 57
  • portofino2.jpg
    portofino2.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 53
  • monument.jpg
    monument.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 54
  • gannet5.jpg
    gannet5.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 134
More exciting travel photos, Michael. Great job. How does the MK4 compare to older 1Ds models as a 'full frame' landscape/travel camera? Visited your website and found the tropical fish photos fascinating.

Nice travel photos taken with the MK4. The bird ones are great too. Sometimes, handholding the Canon 400mm DO + converter combo does not give tack sharp images but that's the price one pays for catching birds in flight. Looks like the MK4 can do double duty. Let's see what the 1Ds MK4 has to offer next.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back