• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BTX Binoviewer for ATX scopes (2 Viewers)

dalat

Switzerland
Apparently there is a binoviewer module for the ATX scopes (objective modules) coming. Also a 1.7 extender, to be added beween the objective and ocular modules.

It has a ray divider (right word?) and one prism for each ocular, if I got it right. Magnification is fix, 35x for the ATX 95 and 30x for the smaller ones.

There is an article in a German journal, preview here, scroll until page 27 for the article with pictures.
http://www.voegel-magazin.de/AktuellesHeft/OnlineVorschau.php

Last edited:
Dalat,

Thanks for this leak. I guess I must start saving up at least for the extender. Did you manage to figure out whether the extender works with the ATX prism/zoom module also or just with the binoviewer? I assume it would, and cannot see reasons it would not, but would prefer to see it in writing.

The binoviewer could be really nice for stationary viewing, but perhaps less so for the kind of mobile birding many of us do most of the time.

Kimmo

Thanks for this leak. I guess I must start saving up at least for the extender. Did you manage to figure out whether the extender works with the ATX prism/zoom module also or just with the binoviewer? I assume it would, and cannot see reasons it would not, but would prefer to see it in writing.

Hi Kimmo,
not really a leak I think, as it's published in a journal, I guess more info should be available soon elsewhere as well.
Regarding the extender, I assume as well that it should work with the scope alone, but it is not 100 % stated in the text. The caption of the extender image says "fits to the ATX/BTX scope system ".
Interestingly, the text says that one or more extenders can be added to increase magnification.
Regards, Florian

The presumed news was known quite some time ago already without knowing the details
I hope that the already bulky atx 95 will not become unpracticle in the Field.
A zoom would be the best , but still hard to actieve in this kind of systems
Let us see what the impact is on the light transmission if doubling the light

The Kowa 883/4 series extenders can be stacked also, and each one increases the magnification by a further 1.6x. So, for Swaro with a 1.7x extenders, it would be 42.5-102x with one extender and 72-173x with two for the 65 & 85mm objective modules and 51-122x & 87-208x with the 95mm module. The double extender scenario is useful for astronomical observation if one has a very good objective module, whereas a single extender is enough to bring the magnification range into an area where in daylight viewing you can get all the possible detail out of the image.

My preference would have been for a 1.5x extender for 45-108x with the 95mm objective module, but I'm not complaining. I'll get one of these as soon as they are available. Even with the Kowa, with its lower light transmission and smaller objective diameter, the extender works remarkably well, and with my Swaro it will take care of my only remaining complaint with the scope: that it does not reach its full potential with the available magnifications.

The binoviewer module is intriguing, but without having tried one I cannot say how tempted I'll be. The extender will not make the scope too heavy or bulky yet, but the binoviewer might. These have been used in astronomical telescopes for quite some time, and apparently they work quite well. The benefits from getting to use both eyes are said to more than compensate for the loss of light coming to each eye.

Kimmo

Coming sunday I'll see it in the flesh, so if there are any questions......bring them on and on monday I'll (hopefully) have the answers.

Jan

With the 95mm objective module each side of the binoviewer would provide each eye with about the same amount of light as a 67mm scope, but the image would appear somewhat brighter than that when viewed with both eyes. The image ought to look plenty bright at 35X.

Last edited:
i can't see the issue (don't care for flash plugin by security reasons),
will the extender be of "flip-in" type?
not sure if it's possible but that would be nice...

and the binoviewer is it for a pair of scopes?
that would be brilliant for swaro sales..
could be expensive....

Last edited:
Great news!...:t:

I also can't read the magazine - Dalat please post print screens of it.

The 1.7x extender is perfect for me and those doing CR-birding! I think I will start selling my astro material after having one...;)

The binoviewer is a compromise but for general birding is a plus. Hope it will be >80º AFOV, to better compete with the Doctor binocular telescope. Although not zooming, the extender(s) will reduce this limitation.

Jan, photos will be nice, besides more info.

The magazine probably made a mistake in posting a full copy yesterday. Dalat's link worked for me last night, but now it only shows the front page, and when you flip pages you get more front pages. I did not download it, but maybe Dalat did. Anyway, apparently this is news that is supposed to break tomorrow, so with a little bit of patience, we'll all get much more specifics than was available in that magazine article.

The Vogel -article did not have any FOV specs for the binoviewer, nor did it mention weight or price.

Vespo,

The extender goes between the objective module and the prism module, just like a telephoto lens extender goes between its lens and the camera body. So it takes a bit of bayoneting to install and remove.

The binoviewer is to be used with a single objective module, and uses a beam-splitter to apportion half of the light to each eye. Check astro-sites if you want to get an idea how these work. Tele-Vue has made one for years, Denkmeier is another brand that comes to mind, and Baader probably also has one.

For prices we'll have to wait for the announcements, but the BTX has to be more expensive than the regular prism/zoom unit, and my guess about the extender is that it will be in the same ballpark as the Leica extender.

Kimmo

Vespobuteo, post 10,
The BTX binoviewer is comparable to the binoviewers that in different configurations were made during a lot of decades for microscopes, there you also have a single image coming from the microscope objective and than that image is directed by a beam splitter in the two eyepiece tubes. Interesting to know is what kind of beam splitter Swarovski has chosen.

Gijs van Ginkel

Sights of nature will have the primeur to present the btx system on March 25 in their shop in Bruges ,Belgium
They are the biggest Bird Optics dealer in the Benelux and one of the big 3 in Europe
They are present on the well known IWA Fair
RRP prices are communicated
Btx 30x65:€3460
Btx 30x85:€4120
Btx 35x 95 :€4490
Btx ocular module:€2580
ME 1.7x extender :€360
PTH Profi Stativkopf :€604

For the 95 module

Filed of view:32 m
Close focus 5 m
Weight :2760g
Magnification:35x and 60x with module

People who had the occasion to look through were positive about the relaxed way of looking compared with the ATX
Loss of light should not be an issue by splitting up the light

Vespobuteo, post 10,
The BTX binoviewer is comparable to the binoviewers that in different configurations were made during a lot of decades for microscopes, there you also have a single image coming from the microscope objective and than that image is directed by a beam splitter in the two eyepiece tubes. Interesting to know is what kind of beam splitter Swarovski has chosen.

Gijs van Ginkel

Yes, but the IP adjustment seem to have a bit different mechanics from the ones I have seen before
Weight seem to be quite "acceptable" at 1.4 kg.

But the BTX seem to be a fixed mag EP 30x or 35x (95mm).
I don't think that it will appeal to most birders and digiscopers etc.
(extender is nice but not as convenient as zoom)

Will the "apparent mag" be more than with one eye?
Perhaps some will even be amazed by the 3D effect?
;)

Last edited:
Arran,

Thanks for the data. Field of view is not super wide, but reasonable. I assume this is the compromise between weight, price, ergonomics (your nose needs to fit between two eyepieces) and FOV. Price for the BTX module is rather high, but not out of line with the other units in the -TX range. The extender price is quite reasonable, and I would bet quite a few of these will be sold to existing ATX 95 owners, myself included.

The weight for the BTX is also reasonable considering how much is in it. This will be a large scope, but only about the weight and size of a Nikon EDG VR 85 or the Optolyth and Opticron 100 mm scopes. Real binoscopes, such as the Kowa Highlander 82, are over twice the size and weight, and the Kowa is also much more expensive.

It will be very interesting to compare the BTX with the ATX.

Kimmo

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back