• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (1 Viewer)

Secondly, the Foghorn (see figure three). Advantages: provides shelter from most winds and you can look a bit more to the south and pick up birds sooner. Disadvantages: not very comfortable, wet arse inducing.

Looks like the foghorn has had a new coat of paint recently. It used to have 'SNP' sprayed in big letters on the white wall. We always assumed it stood for 'Still No Petrels'

Stuart

Just seen a Peregrine make a kill from the kitchen window, down by the Dee Shore. Seemed rather effortless. Probably a pigeon, as there were lots around this morning, flying out to the fields to feed.

Cheers,

Discussing the relative merits of a bench, a foghorn and a lump of concrete now. October not really getting going for you is it? ;)

October hasn't really kicked in round here yet, Andrew. A bit like Liverpool's recent performances I fear.

I suspect I may have just seen your Peregrine, Phil. Or at least I saw a Peregrine - perched atop the spire of the 'red brick church' (not sure what it's name is). That's 63 for the house list, for those of you who are closely following.

The Lighthouse Field

The Lighthouse Field is called Walkers Park.The Lighthouse was designed by either the Father or Grandfather of Robert Louis Stevenson,of Treasure Island fame.

Found my first bluethroat in the torched gorse. Happy days!
Never saw anything good in the sycamore though.
We always preferred the foghorn for seawatching.

Rob

Love the thread

HI there,

am pretty new to BF, and also to the area - my girlfriend has just moved up to just south of Inverbervie and plan to relocate there around new year.

Have spent some time gazing out the window in Gourdon and watching the sea, wishing i had something a little stronger than my 7x25's to get the ticks up.

Did see my first ever purple sandpiper at high tide a week or so ago however and it was delightful.

I hope i'm not taking over or disrupting the thread however,if anyone out there would recommend a decent scope for me to buy so that i can see a bit further towards norway than i can at the minute that'd be great. It is not my intention to break the bank tho. Can only afford a few hundred quid and would like something that can last.

Keep up the excellent reports tho guys... it might not boost my list, but it is increasing my optic-envy.

All the best,

Kev

October hasn't really kicked in round here yet, Andrew. A bit like Liverpool's recent performances I fear.

I suspect I may have just seen your Peregrine, Phil. Or at least I saw a Peregrine - perched atop the spire of the 'red brick church' (not sure what it's name is). That's 63 for the house list, for those of you who are closely following.

If that was at 10:30ish it was probably the one I saw soaring then streaking over Broad Street round about then. They're still making odd trips to Marischal College even though breeding's over (I work close by).

Three thrushes over Marischal College off the sea about ten minutes later. Almost a fall!

Cheers,

HI there,

am pretty new to BF, and also to the area - my girlfriend has just moved up to just south of Inverbervie and plan to relocate there around new year.

Have spent some time gazing out the window in Gourdon and watching the sea, wishing i had something a little stronger than my 7x25's to get the ticks up.

Did see my first ever purple sandpiper at high tide a week or so ago however and it was delightful.

I hope i'm not taking over or disrupting the thread however,if anyone out there would recommend a decent scope for me to buy so that i can see a bit further towards norway than i can at the minute that'd be great. It is not my intention to break the bank tho. Can only afford a few hundred quid and would like something that can last.

Keep up the excellent reports tho guys... it might not boost my list, but it is increasing my optic-envy.

All the best,

Kev

As to scopes, I recommend waterproof (personal experience). Haven't any particular one in mind.

Cheers,

If that was at 10:30ish it was probably the one I saw soaring then streaking over Broad Street round about then. They're still making odd trips to Marischal College even though breeding's over (I work close by).

Three thrushes over Marischal College off the sea about ten minutes later. Almost a fall!

Cheers,

The Peregrines can be seen daily on the east side (facing Schoolhill) of the Mitchell Tower of Marischal College.Look for the "whitewash" that gives away their favoured roosting sites.If they are not there,try looking on the ledge below the spire of the Triple Kirk,which is the red brick ruin,across from Union Terrace.I am afforded great views from my work,which is on the 14th floor of St Nicholas House.My apologies for going "off thread" a little but this information may help some others see them.

It was a wonderfully misty damp and mucky morning here in Torry (see pictures). Just how I like it. But, I didn't have much time to enjoy the hordes of rares that were no doubt flitting around Girdle Ness. An hour or two around lunchtime and that was all. The signs were promising when I approached the Allotments and a Redwing and Brambling flew out. The most obvious feature was the first significant arrival of thrushes this autumn. Around the headland there were perhaps 100 each of Fieldfare and Redwing, 20 or 30 Blackbirds and a few Song Thrushes. There was the usual scattering of Robins and Dunnocks and a couple of Wheatears were on the golf course. But that was about it. No warblers and, really weirdly, no Goldcrests. Where are they all at the moment? Normally you get loads of Goldcrests at this time of the year regardless of the weather. More exciting viewing was provided by at least 4 Bottle-nosed Dolphins, relatively close up rather than the usual distant views from the flat, and a Peregrine hurtling across the harbour mouth.

Attachments

• Misty Torry 1.jpg
    Misty Torry 1.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 270
  • Misty Torry 2.jpg
    Misty Torry 2.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 285
Well, in light of the arrival of birds yesterday I had a proper look this morning. It was still a bit misty and muggy and very calm. Surely there'd be something. Well... if I tell you the first notes I made were the waders on Greyhope Bay, you'll know that it wasn't really happening. Still a few thrushes lurking about, particularly Song Thrushes, but hardly any other migrants. The one Goldcrest is almost noteworthy at the moment! Also 25 Rock Pipits were in the lighthouse field, but amongst their number was not the half-expected Buff-bellied Pipit disappointingly. Plus 2 Stonechats and a Red Admiral. Also the amusing sight of a Pied Wagtail belting after a Blackbird like a skua chasing a Kittiwake. That Blackie won't be marking emergency landfall at Girdle Ness again! Those waders: 1 Purple Sandpiper, 13 Ringed Plovers, 3 Dunlin and 19 Turnstones. A lonely Barnacle Goose flew south - my first of the autumn. 2 Red-throated Divers were on the sea and then 3 flew south past the lighthouse. Much to my surprise, they were calling, not something you often hear along the coast. And I got a top quality recording with Remembird. Well, if you turn it up really loud.

Attachments

• Red-throated Diver Girdle Ness.mp3
    232.4 KB · Views: 357
I was amazed at this myself.

The Pied Wagtail was roosting on a wire before the Swallow took a dislike to it and came down towards it and chased it for some time over a horse paddock. I presumed the Swallow had mistook it for some unsual hirundine (with it being on the wire and all black and white).

A very foggy night,so could be some nice birds in the Torry area,in the morning.

Stayed at home today again. Didn't fancy the winds much. The day's watching was completely devoid of interest, apart from a couple of Redwing and Sparrowhawk, until about 14:25 when a flock of 70-80 Fieldfare passed the back window over Great Western Road going SE to NW. My first decent-sized thrush flock of the year.

Cheers,

Last edited:
I've been watching the fieldfares and redwings here - they have stripped a pink rowan tree of it's berries through the course of a week.... and more too but that's the one I've been watching :D Took some pics and they are on my flickr account.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back