• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some species (in Turkey) (1 Viewer)

sgokce

Hi everyone,
My birder friend wanted me to ask about those pics. He thinks they are a LSE and a Chiffchaff. What do u think? Thank u for your help in advance...

Attachments

• IMG_9182.JPG
    IMG_9182.JPG
    223.7 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_9248.JPG
    IMG_9248.JPG
    416.9 KB · Views: 89
I'd go with Lesser Spotted Eagle (note short seventh finger) and Eastern Olivaceous Warbler (definitely not Chiffchaff).

Jim

Last edited:
Agree with Eastern Olivaceous...but need to know why GSE has been ruled out, not a good shot I know but...have observed the ''short seventh finger'' along with the ''long six''...also there doesn't appear to be any contrast to the underwing?

cheers

Agree with Eastern Olivaceous...but need to know why GSE has been ruled out, not a good shot I know but...have observed the ''short seventh finger'' along with the ''long six''...also there doesn't appear to be any contrast to the underwing?

cheers

yes, the raptor is a real nightmare, as often with subadult brown Eagles
I do not know if the commas are only due to moult or genuine
the bird will become in its adult plumage very dark and there seems to be a quite light rear body
the seventh prim is quite long as are the fingers
The wings are very long and parallel edged and the head appears to become the lightest part of the bird
therefore it's closer to an immature Imperial Eagle than to a Spotted Eagle for me

yes, the raptor is a real nightmare, as often with subadult brown Eagles
I do not know if the commas are only due to moult or genuine
the bird will become in its adult plumage very dark and there seems to be a quite light rear body
the seventh prim is quite long as are the fingers
The wings are very long and parallel edged and the head appears to become the lightest part of the bird
therefore it's closer to an immature Imperial Eagle than to a Spotted Eagle for me

This was my first idea but confident enough to answer first.

No problem for the Eastern Olivaceous Warbler.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back