• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fake Zeiss Jenoptems (1 Viewer)

Jonathan B.

I have read with interest the many comments about the Zeiss Jenoptem on this forum, particularly about the 8x30. I wonder if anybody else has found this article about fake Jenoptems. It is well founded and well illustrated. This is on the personal website of Holger Merlitz, who has also provided some very intelligent reviews of binoculars.

http://de.geocities.com/holger_merlitz/jenoptem.html

Jonathan B. said:
I have read with interest the many comments about the Zeiss Jenoptem on this forum, particularly about the 8x30. I wonder if anybody else has found this article about fake Jenoptems. It is well founded and well illustrated. This is on the personal website of Holger Merlitz, who has also provided some very intelligent reviews of binoculars.

http://de.geocities.com/holger_merlitz/jenoptem.html

There is a interesting new review of Nikon 8x32 SE vs Fujinon 8x30 FMTR-SX and Hensoldt 8x30.
The review conclude that the Nikon is a very good binocular,but Fujinon is almost just as good.It confirms what a have said about my 7x50 Fujinon,top notch optics and a low/medium price.

I own a pair of these bins 8x30.I purchased these from London Camera Exchange in about 1989. they appear to be the model made under licence in Japan.Possibly the build quality may not be good as those made in the DDR but the optical quality is amazing for this price of binocular.I dont consider these fakes as lot of binoculars are made under licence.

laika said:
There is a interesting new review of Nikon 8x32 SE vs Fujinon 8x30 FMTR-SX and Hensoldt 8x30.
The review conclude that the Nikon is a very good binocular,but Fujinon is almost just as good.It confirms what a have said about my 7x50 Fujinon,top notch optics and a low/medium price.

That is indeed an excellent review. Your 7x50 must be really good on the night sky! Don't you find the individual eye piece focus a pain for day time use?

Leif said:
That is indeed an excellent review. Your 7x50 must be really good on the night sky! Don't you find the individual eye piece focus a pain for day time use?

Leif, I have a pair of the Fujinon 8X30 FMTR-SX. They are amazingly similar in optical performance to the Nikon SE, as the review says, almost like having the SE's optics in an IF waterproof housing. As you suspect they are unfortunately not that useful for birding because of the IF. I use mine mainly when walking on the beach or on boats, where I don't anticipate having to change the focus much and the tethered objective covers (like the EL's) keep the salt spray off the lenses between looks. Henry

Leif said:
When i have focused them i can use them fra about 10-15 meters to infinity without problems.I'am so "lucky" that i can only use one eye so i use the IF on the right eye just as a CF and then i can focus down to 4 meters.
There is only one thing with the optics i don't like and that's stray light. Used from my veranda i have with stray light from the street lanternes. Maybe they need to paint the inside of the bino black to avoid reflections,but seeing towards the sun is no problem!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back