• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

'Dandelion chips' (1 Viewer)

Well, I completely gave up on the chip from big_is when it started making my camera crash! I was trying to do some test shots today and as soon as I turned off live view after focusing, the whole camera went dead. Happened three or four times until I took the sucker out and put on my old Fotodiox chipless adapter. (Live view AF was set to I-AF, but focus was set to MF). Then, when I took the card out and put it in my internal card reader, IT blew! Couldn't read the card, even though the camera still could and my backup external reader could. Replaced it this evening and now all is back to normal. Maybe the two are not related, but maybe they are, who knows? Stranger things have happened;)

I figured out what was making the camera "crash". I was using a wireless remote and the camera was set to S-AF, so the camera was trying to focus a lens that couldn't be focused and blocked. With override activated, or on MF it is fine, so it was not the fault of the chip as such. Just a funny glitch in the concept.

Well, I took the chip off the scope's Nikon->4/3 adapter and glued it on an OM->4/3 adapter to use with my old OM 300mm/4.5. Seems to work better than on the longer "lens". I will decide whether or not I will get a better one for the scope when I decide which body I want to get for it.

Well, I took the chip off the scope's Nikon->4/3 adapter and glued it on an OM->4/3 adapter to use with my old OM 300mm/4.5. Seems to work better than on the longer "lens". I will decide whether or not I will get a better one for the scope when I decide which body I want to get for it.
I have found the chip I am using (see above in this thread) works fine for the F/7.5 scope in most situations, unless less background is busy and cluttered.

With EC-14 the AF provides reasonably correct AF confirm signal in I would say 2/3 of the cases. Some repeated actioning of the shutter button and/or focuser increases to about 4/5 or so.

With EC-20 it works only on contrasty subjects, in many situations you don't get any signal.

I have also tried on OM legacy lenses (ranging from F/1.4 up to F/4.5) and the hit rate is virtually 100%.

/Tord

I have Nikon D5000 and the SW80ED - could some please point me to the chipped adapter I need (on ebay would be good) Thanks

Also, I have a Nikon V1 and FT1 - would the adapter work for this setup also?

Cheers

Marco

Are you sure you even need chipped adapters for the D5000? I have a D7000 and I don't need one. The exif data is programmed into the camera under Other Shooting Options and Non-CPU Lenses. I put in the focal length and f-stop and it shows up in the exif. If the light is good enough, the green dot lights up in the lower left of the VF when the focus is on. I never watch it though. I just concentrate on the subject, but the 7000 has a somewhat bigger and brighter VF than the 5000, so it is easier.
No idea about the V1 and FT1.

I have Nikon D5000 and the SW80ED - could some please point me to the chipped adapter I need (on ebay would be good) Thanks

Also, I have a Nikon V1 and FT1 - would the adapter work for this setup also?

Cheers

Marco

I get exposure data and magnified focus assist with my V1 and FT1 using an unchipped adapter to connect to my Celestron C80ED refractor at prime focus. Like Dan, I never pay any attention to focus confirmation and so I couldn't say about that.

Rick

It tricks the camera into thinking it has a CPU lens (lens with built in chip) on it. Unless I am mistaken, you don't need it on the D5000 at all. I would try the camera out on the scope first before buying something you don't really need. It will have zero effect on the pictures you take. You have to adjust the ISO or shutterspeed in manual mode anyway. See page 195 of the d5000 manual on Non-CPU lenses.

chippd adapters-help!

Hi Everyone,
I have a SW80ED(2 inch eyepiece) and I am about to buy a Canon40D.
I will want to attach the 40D to the scope for prime focus, and still have focus-confirm.
Having read through this thread, am I right in thinking that even if I buy an adapter already chipped( rather than fixing the chips myself) the buying and setting up process still involves lots of pitfalls and complications. Or are the complications not there if I am only concerned with focus confirm.
Any recomendations on what to buy?--- Who are the reliable suppliers? Which ones provide simple instructions in reasonable English? I would very much value anyones relevant experiences here.
Please forgive the naivety of this post. As someone has already said I am very much in the shallow end with regards to camera-speak
Cheers
John

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back