• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell Xtra-Wide 4x30 (1 Viewer)

dalat

Switzerland
In a thread about kid's binoculars, I saw these mentionned:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3209685#post3209685

They look indeed interesting. Low mag, wide field, large EP and no need to focus sounds all perferct for kids.

There are not many details on specs, I'd be interested to know how they compare to the Leupold Yosemite 6x30 in dimensions. Also, perhaps someone who has them could measure the IPD?

Also, do they have individual focus or no focus at all?

Last edited:
. Dear Florian,
I have the Bushnell Xtrawide 4×21, which is likely to be the same as the 4×30 as I've seen someone mention that the 4×30 is actually only about 21 mm aperture.
Kids seem to love this binocular. So that I presume there's no problem with the IPD, but I'll try to check later.
I initially didn't like the 4×21 as it is fixed focus and I am longsighted and the centre is out of focus for me.
However, following two bright planets as they got further and further apart from a close conjunction I was able to follow them and measure the field of the binocular accurately as 18.5°. And because the field is curved I find that the image near the edge of the field is in focus for me, so the fact that the centre is not in focus did not matter. So as long as I keep things at the edge of the field they are in focus.

However, children have a great deal of accommodation and as long as they have fairly neutral eyesight I think these are great binoculars. The 4 x 21 were sold off cheaply at a bargain basement price. I don't know how much the 4 x 30 cost.

It must be pointed out that the 4×21 actually only magnifies 3.5 times, so the field is not actually extrawide.
There are several Bushnell Xtrawide binoculars where the magnification is overstated.

I also have the Chinese 4×22 independent eyepiece focus binocular. This has field of 16.5° and genuinely magnifies four times. They were also available with fixed focus eyepieces. I like this binocular even though the coatings are basic single coatings and uncoated surfaces. The images are quite good and the field of 16.5° is sometimes useful.

Dalat,

I will check the IPD when I get home. I have the Opticron Savanna 6x30 so will compare the two later for you as well.

They have no focus mechanism. Your eyes' accommodation are the focus.

. The 4×21 Bushnell Xtrawide has an IPD varying from 54 to 71 mm. It may be that the 4×30 is the same?
The weight of the 4×21 is 352 g.
It is marked Bushnell 13-0421. 900 feet FOV.
It has a curved field. I tried it with some old distance glasses, which are not my current prescription, but which fit close to my eyes. I can see the full field of view with these and much of it is in focus. It would need a younger person with good accommodation to see everything in focus.

Some of these binoculars have been adapted by taking the eyepieces and remounting them with a different spacing for the individual to give good focus.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back