• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

white throated dipper somerset (1 Viewer)

Hi Dafydd, I've lived on the Somerset Levels for 12 years and have never seen a Dipper around here. They like fast flowing streams and there aren't too many of those in this area as it's too flat. I have seen them in Lyme Regis, Dorset though which isn't too far away. There is one fast flowing stream which enters the sea in Lyme Regis and there is a lovely walk alongside it where I have seen Dippers on several occasions.

The stream that runs alongside the car park at Wookey Hole caves is a reliable site. You could also try any of the streams that run northeast off the Mendips, the Quantocks or Exmoor, all of which have good populations.

That's really helpful!! thanks for all the suggestions.What's the best time of year to see them, and where in Cheddar? ( i live near Cheddar)

Visited Bossington yesterday. Parked in the National Trust car park. There's a wooden footbridge leading to the trails around Hurlestone Point. Two Dipper were on the river about 20 yards from the bridge.

Great views of a male Peregrine along the beach adjacent to Hurlestone Point, and then perched on the cliff.
Skylarks singing over the salt marsh, and good-sized flocks of several farmland bird species in the fields along with approx 10 Curlew.

Visited Bossington yesterday. Parked in the National Trust car park. There's a wooden footbridge leading to the trails around Hurlestone Point. Two Dipper were on the river about 20 yards from the bridge.

Great views of a male Peregrine along the beach adjacent to Hurlestone Point, and then perched on the cliff.
Skylarks singing over the salt marsh, and good-sized flocks of several farmland bird species in the fields along with approx 10 Curlew.

many thanks Rob!

Stream at the bottom of Cheddar Gorge, Radstock town centre stream, Chilcompton, Iford, many of the rivers and streams south and east of Bath in fact... Good luck,
Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back