• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Diascope (stiff) Focus (1 Viewer)

Chas4045

I recieved my new z 85 spotting scope today the focus knobs seem realy stiff to me is this normal? But the view is very nice! Please help me with this matter. thanks Chas

The fine tune on mine is very free and easy to use, though the coarse focus is stiffer than I'm used to (mine did loosen up with time and, like some others, moves better in warmer temperatures)....it's still a hell of a lot better than some that I've tried in the past (notably some Nikons), where you can move the whole scope off the subject in the struggle.

I wouldn't say that the focus knobs on my 85 are stiff, but they do have a bit of resistance. I find that a nice feature instead of a problem, as I've had some zoom knobs where the least bump would cause them to drift.

GR

Hi Chas

Over the years I`ve had a few different makes of scope & the focus wheel loosens up after a while.
Regards Steve.

I see you have had a number of helpful replies already, which is always the case on birdforum. A friend of mine has the Zeiss 85 and he said exactly the same thing as you but after 3 months of use it is as smooth as any scope, I can vouch for this as I tried it yesterday. A wonderful scope in my opinion.
Wine Man

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back