• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Affordable Housing (1 Viewer)

DoveKeeper

Our Downey Woodpeckers are here again for another winters stay. Both the male and the female are together again. Should I build a house for them? I think they breed in Febuary here wich is the coldest month for us. Today I heard the male making his squeaky sound again.

If you want my opinion (which is admittedly novice), by all means yes! Woodpeckers all over North America are under assault by Starlings for their natural homes, so anything that you can do to help out our poor pecking friends would be laudable. I haven't had the pleasure yet of spotting a Downey, although they do sneak into our state on occasion. SUPPORT THE WOODPECKERS!!! :-D :-D

Although I consider myself adept at woodworking I decided to go the mail order route on this one. I ordered these Downy Woodpecker houses from a vendor from Maine. I was pleased with the craftsmanship and there were a lot of features that I may have overlooked not to mention the included excavation woodchips and detailed instructions. I might build a house for "Operation Starling Cam" in the spring.

Attachments

• Houses0001.JPG
    Houses0001.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 183
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back