• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

arca lens plate for SW80ED (1 Viewer)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
I have just realised that my arca swiss lens plate will not mount on the SW80 because it has an anti twist flange that does not allow it to sit flat - can anyone recommend a flat lens plate.
Also you cannot quite balance the scope on a Gimbal because you need the point of contact further back the scope towards the Camera - anyone come across this and if so how did you rectify? My only thoughts are a purpose built mounting bar to replace the one supplied on the scope!.

Last edited:
I have now received the new 2 screw,longer and flat Arca plate and it works fine even allowing me to balance the set-up on my Gimbal head.

I have now received the new 2 screw,longer and flat Arca plate and it works fine even allowing me to balance the set-up on my Gimbal head.

What did you end up getting Roy. As I could do with balancing my scope better on the head I have.

See attached photo as it is at the mo - what do i need to push the scope further forward so it balances better.

Its a Flashpoint gimbal head with a 2-3/4 inch quick release plate.

Attachments

• 2013-01-14 13.37.59.jpg
    2013-01-14 13.37.59.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 92
What did you end up getting Roy. As I could do with balancing my scope better on the head I have.

See attached photo as it is at the mo - what do i need to push the scope further forward so it balances better.

Its a Flashpoint gimbal head with a 2-3/4 inch quick release plate.
I bought a 5-1/2" long lens plate that has two mounting screws holes. I had to mount it right back at the end of the clamp shell as shown (using two of the already tapped holes in the clamp shell base) and then you have to use the end of it to fit in the Swiss arca clamp of the Gimbal.
The pic shows it balanced with the bare scope but when you add a tc you have to fit it almost right up to the end of the lens plate - just about balances.

Attachments

• skywatcher 80EDv1a.jpg
    skywatcher 80EDv1a.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 94
Cheers Roy - will have a look on ebay to see if I can find something that suits.
THIS is the one I bought. Trouble with these Arca Swiss plates and clamps is that one makers plate may not fit someone else's clamp as the angles may be slightly different - I took a chance and the plate fitted my Jobu clamp fine.

Last edited:
Hi Roy,

I had similar problems with my scope which has a base similar as yours. It is quite complicated because normal Arca screws don't fit in the holes in the base of the scope rings.

The attached picture shows how I have done it. It works fine for me and I can balance the scope perfectly with or without barlow. The balance point is at the end of the Arca plate under the focuser.

Regards
J

Attachments

• Arca plate kw.jpg
    Arca plate kw.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Hi Roy,

I had similar problems with my scope which has a base similar as yours. It is quite complicated because normal Arca screws don't fit in the holes in the base of the scope rings.

The attached picture shows how I have done it. It works fine for me and I can balance the scope perfectly with or without barlow. The balance point is at the end of the Arca plate under the focuser.

Regards
J
Hi Jules,
With the lens plate I bought I can get the two screws from the plate and they fit directly into screw holes that were already in the EQ mount base. Strange that your Arca plate screws did not fit!
See attached pic.
You are never going to get absolute balance all the time because of the way the scope focusses. The point of balances is always changing slightly but with a Gimbal near enough is OK because you can always apply a slight amount of tension.
P.S. my plate did not need to go as far out towards the focuser as yours by the look of it.

Attachments

• arca plate on scope.jpg
    arca plate on scope.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Roy,

I think you misunderstood my post. The screws don't fit on the base of the rings which have different threads. On the plate attached to the rings, there is only 1 screw thread and it is ok with Arca screws.

Of course, the balance points are different with and without a barlow. My Arca Swiss plate is positioned so that I can position the scope for proper balance with or without the barlow.

Hi

I attach my Giotto plate using a similar design. I could post pictures if you are interested...
/Tord

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back