• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Use of flash? (1 Viewer)

Tord

Hi,

Looking at some early posts in the "Setup" thread I notice some of you have mounted a flash on your scopes.

I am curious about this. Can anyone share your experience from a technical/setup point of view and also if the results achieved have been in line with your intentions. Also what shooting distance is realistic to expect? (using a well designed (DIY) reflector to concentrate the light beam on the subject).

Thanks,
Tord

Fernando has used a flash quite a bit, hopefully he will pass on some tips for you. From what I remember he used a Speedlight flash with external battery and a Better Beamer to extend the range.

Paul.

Hi Tord

Some results from fooling around with flash and Better Beamer some time ago.

The first two were with the EF 400 f/5.6 +1.4TC from about 8m: Flash and no flash at same camera settings.

The third was with scope and flash from about 75m away. I think the 1.4 TC was involved.

Jaco

PS: You can get the info with Exiftool.

Attachments

• Flash 4.JPG
    Flash 4.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 130
  • Flash 3.JPG
    Flash 3.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 106
  • Flash 8.JPG
    Flash 8.JPG
    185.4 KB · Views: 94
I've use flash at times, but I've it to be a bit tricky. Mostly on overcast and (poor light) dull winter days.

I use the "R" version of the Olympus FL50 and it works well triggered by the inbuilt flash of the E-3.

I use flash only when I NEED to get out despite of how dull it is :)

Last edited:
Hi Jaco and Cango

Your flash assisted photos look really good.

@ Jaco: Is this the "Better Beamer" you refer to?

@ Cango: Do you use the FL50 without any additional reflector?

/Tord

Those are well done Carlos. Nicely balanced light. Only "giveaway" is the double reflection in the Hawfinch's eye.

Yes, I did not bother to "correct" it, to show they were done with flash. I think both are flash - the buildt in one and the fl50r. (If I remember it right, the sun would not have hit the eye from the angle)

Got some shots today - sunny and cold, and some of them looked like they could have been done with flash (but I did not use one) Weird.

;)All there is at the moment.....
_DSC0437_resize.jpg
Everyone else seems to be laying low, waiting for the snow to melt. That will be a while yet....
(Don't expect any detail. Between the fog and two layers of glass....no chance. ;) )

Ooops....wrong thread...

Last edited:
these are taken with the better beamer. Now I also have a similar thing like the beamer, but close all around to better concentrate the beam.
Hi Carlos,

The "Better Beamer" seems to be hard to find in EU.

I was then directed to a second source "Visual Echoes Flash Extender" which seems to do the same. Do you know what model (FX1/FX2.../FX6) has the best fit with the FL50R?

And also you know if there is a EU base dretailer that supplies it? I found it at Cyberphoto.se but they do not stock them and the price tag is not that attractive.

/Tord

I have to say with the greatest of respect I think these flash shots are pretty horrible.
They are very obviously taken with a flash and look very un-natural, like they were taken in a studio.The birds are flat with obvious false shadows especially on the sparrows and dipper. Sorry but I find it hard to understand what you are trying to achieve ?
I take it birds ar'nt spooked by a flash ? mmmmmm...?

I have to say with the greatest of respect I think these flash shots are pretty horrible.
They are very obviously taken with a flash and look very un-natural, like they were taken in a studio.The birds are flat with obvious false shadows especially on the sparrows and dipper. Sorry but I find it hard to understand what you are trying to achieve ?
I take it birds ar'nt spooked by a flash ? mmmmmm...?

Hi Geoff

The sparrow photos were posted to illustrate the concept, not because they have any artistic merit. I believe that the use of flash is beneficial when one has to consider the use of either high ISO or slow shutter speed, especially for birding.

My experience is that the bird will first look up to the sky and try and determine where the lightning came from, rather than being spooked.

Attached another photo which I think better illustrates what is possible.

Best regards

Jaco

Attachments

• _MG_4791.JPG
    _MG_4791.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 92
http://www.harbordigitaldesign.com/xtl-1flashextenderconversionlens-1.aspx

I bought that one as well - later on - since I was not comfortable putting up the better beamer. This one could have more uses (as a diffusor) and much faster to put on. It takes up more space in the bag, though.

If you like I could send you the better beamer I have (collecting dust), so you could try it out how you like it.
Hi Carlos,
Thanks for the generous offer. I however already found one on ebay that I ordered...
/Tord

Hi Carlos,
Thanks for the generous offer. I however already found one on ebay that I ordered...
/Tord

Let us know the results :)

Regarding using flash (as in this threads purpose) I believe we have two approches - one as fill light, having already good light - and the other in so poor light conditions (ie Sweden, winter) just to be able to get any shot... Of course, you'll then see it's a flash shot, since it is. That the bird would be spooked? Haven't noticed...

I have both application areas in mind.

I will uploads some samples as soon after I have the bits and pieces in place, hopefully by next weekend.

In the process of making a flash holder I realized that the rings fixing my scope to the quick release plate would be a good starting point to attach a metal plate. On the foremost ring there is a 2cm long thread pointing up - does anyone know what is the intended use? I also found that the thread is odd sized, luckily I still have the nut...

/Tord

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back