• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (14 Viewers)

Good evening everyone,

As a few of you may know I am relatively new to the Norfolk birding scene and am still trying to build up a personal database of sites.

I was wondering if anyone could give me any information on the section of marsh to the south of the Morston road just east of Stiffkey village. It always seems to have alot of birds on it, especially waders. I should imagine it must pick up all sorts on passage, but I can see no safe place to view from and I presume the site is private? Any infomation on the site would be extemely helpful.

Regards Kieran
This site was developed by Lord Buxton (Anglia TV and Survival fame) along with the more visited Stiffkey Fen. It is now held by a charitable trust as a private nature reserve.
If you know the bait diggers parking at Stiffkey Fen, you will know that crossing to the south side of the road takes you to a permissive path and a left turn leads you down to the Fen safe from all the traffic.
However, if you park at the bait diggers, cross the road and turn right you can follow the permissive path around the eastern end of the area you are enquiring about. You should be able to see a lot of the area but will probably need a scope. There is no access onto the site.
The path continues past the marsh and over Cockthorpe Common and meets the Stiffkey to Langham Road in Cockthorpe. I think Cockthorpe Common may be part of the same reserve, it definitely has some good flora.

Blakeney Point And Walsey Hills

The most unproductive walk EVER to Blakeney Point.

The day was saved with a stunning male Pied Flycatcher at Walsey Hills this evening, sitting in hawthorn flowers.

See full update and more pictures on blog.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Attachments

• IMG_9096-web.jpg
    IMG_9096-web.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Although no access in the Stiffkey or Cockthorpe area is covered, the Natural England website here shows 248 sites in Norfolk with access to permissive paths under the Higher Level Stewardship schemes. The link found here takes you to the main site where you can view similar access info for any UK county. Forgive me if I've posted these links before but I feel they really are worth highlighting again.

The Ordnance Survey getamap service has had a recent revamp too and is now a very useful mapping reference tool...

James

I frequently visit this area- and it is part of Ashley McElwee’s ‘patch’. It is a peaceful walk and quite productive for insects (e.g. excellent for damselflies), with birds mainly being represented by waders on the flood.

However, bear in mind that the Iberian Chiffchaff was only just across the road, as it were- a position it shares with The Fen.

Don’t park in any gateway there ! You are liable to return to your vehicle to find a rude message scrawled on your windscreen, using a waxy marker that is incredibly difficult to remove.

Josh: sometimes I wonder if the language you studied at that institution of higher learning was not one from this planet, but of inter-galactic origin (“slow-trundling shingle slogs” ! ! ? ?). Are you in an alliterative bent, at the mo ?

I agree with James that the O.S. (begun in the early 19th century, to assist in preventing invasion from the south- but NOT of feathery migrants of exotic origin) getamap site is much better now, after you have gone through the tedious, albeit short, re-registering process.

Penny: lovely pic of The Hawthorn Flycatcher. I hope to see some similar to this, but with whitish rumps, later this month. Probably not in Norfolk- but you never know !

The most unproductive walk EVER to Blakeney Point.

The day was saved with a stunning male Pied Flycatcher at Walsey Hills this evening, sitting in hawthorn flowers.

See full update and more pictures on blog.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Nice photos of the pied fly. considering how far away it was. I haven't had a chance to look at my photos yet, will hopefully sort them tonight.

Cheers David.

Redstarts

If anyone is interested: the pair of Redstarts in my garden have been here five days now: we've watched both collecting nesting material!
What Broadland breeding records are there in recent years?

Attachments

• Redstart male.jpg
    Redstart male.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 56
  • Redstart FEMALE.jpg
    Redstart FEMALE.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 60
Harrier sp.

I bet the Montague's shown on 'the map' is the funny Marsh Harrier I photoed yesterday! As you can see, it holds its wings pretty flat when soaring.
Any comments?

Attachments

• HARRIER 1.jpg
    HARRIER 1.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 67
  • HARRIER 2.jpg
    HARRIER 2.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 78
  • HARRIER 3.jpg
    HARRIER 3.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 76
  • HARRIER 4.jpg
    HARRIER 4.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 76
  • HARRIER 5.jpg
    HARRIER 5.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 53
I frequently visit this area- and it is part of Ashley McElwee’s ‘patch’. It is a peaceful walk and quite productive for insects (e.g. excellent for damselflies), with birds mainly being represented by waders on the flood.

However, bear in mind that the Iberian Chiffchaff was only just across the road, as it were- a position it shares with The Fen.

Don’t park in any gateway there ! You are liable to return to your vehicle to find a rude message scrawled on your windscreen, using a waxy marker that is incredibly difficult to remove.

Josh: sometimes I wonder if the language you studied at that institution of higher learning was not one from this planet, but of inter-galactic origin (“slow-trundling shingle slogs” ! ! ? ?). Are you in an alliterative bent, at the mo ?

I agree with James that the O.S. (begun in the early 19th century, to assist in preventing invasion from the south- but NOT of feathery migrants of exotic origin) getamap site is much better now, after you have gone through the tedious, albeit short, re-registering process.

Penny: lovely pic of The Hawthorn Flycatcher. I hope to see some similar to this, but with whitish rumps, later this month. Probably not in Norfolk- but you never know !

yes mate (are you off to Poland?) i know, it all makes perfect sense at the time, but i really must stop. The walk I'm thinking of (and remember no car issues for me) is that i take the footpath that skirts the east side of the floods goes through some very nice woodland and comes out in rough pasture and a sheep field (cockthorpe common) - all still on a public footpath. You then walk through Cockthorpe and down into Stiffkey village again -

Because of the mass distraction of the marathon (manys thanks BK and James final total £1934) I have not had a full days birding away from the village for as long as I can remember. Finally got the chance today taking in Gun Hill to Holkham, was just fantastic to be out in the sun and dunes with sand under my feet once again. Plenty of decent birds - 3 Whinchats, 6 Wheatear, Whimbrel, Cuckoo, Med Gull, Marsh Harriers, Lesser Whitethroat, Coot, Woodpigeon, Swifts, 2 Spoonbills including 1 in immaculate breeding dress. The highlight though was a Red Kite that circled over the dunes, shaped to head over to Scolt Head then glided back over Holkham Pines. Having finally sent the pager back (extremely liberating) I was immune to the journey the Eagle was taking and although I had no watch on me the Kite must have shown about the same time the Eagle was 'due'. I know I've been away from birding for a bit but I can't have got that rusty, pretty sure it was a Kite it had a fork tail and everything.

I bet the Montague's shown on 'the map' is the funny Marsh Harrier I photoed yesterday! As you can see, it holds its wings pretty flat when soaring.
Any comments?

I've seen ones like this before, my guess is that its quite an old bird that has quite bleached plumage, similar to the old females you see with extensive cream.

Titchwell May 5th

Today’s highlights

White-tailed eagle – the wandering juv flew west @ 13:15
Crossbill – 14 west @ 07:20
Red-crested pochard – drake in reedbed
Whinchat – 1 from Parrinder Hide
Wood sandpiper – 1 on fresh marsh
Little ringed plover – 2 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank – 1 on fresh marsh

Paul

I productive visit to the coast today produced two Temminck's Stint at Cley and Pied Flycatcher at Walsey Hills. Had no luck with the RRS or the ghost like White tailed eagle......|8.|

For full report click link below.

http://apprenticebirdersdiary.webs.com/apps/blog/entries/show/6942871-norfolk-coast-05-05-11

Nice to meet you today. I'm glad you found some birds after the disappointment of the elusive Red-rumped Swallow. Mind you, the swallow's escape westwards was aided by the lorry driver who stopped for to ask for directions in Cley, effectively blocking the road for at least 5 minutes. :smoke:

The Jackdaw with the 'Scandanavian' collar was at Friary Hills.

Attachments

• Jackdaw 110505 IMG_6283 BF.jpg
    Jackdaw 110505 IMG_6283 BF.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 73
About an hour ago I had a brand new garden tick whilst sitting indoors reading. Bearing in mind that I live in the middle of a housing estate in the middle of Long Stratton, new garden ticks don't come very often so when I heard a familiar rattling song on one note and then heard it again I opened the door so I could hear it better and sure enough, there was the little beut. Lesser Whitethroat showing well, singing from my leylandi! He stayed for about five minutes and flew off but he must like it there coz literally five minutes ago he came back for an encore. BIRDS ARE BEST!!

Nice to meet you today. I'm glad you found some birds after the disappointment of the elusive Red-rumped Swallow. Mind you, the swallow's escape westwards was aided by the lorry driver who stopped for to ask for directions in Cley, effectively blocking the road for at least 5 minutes. :smoke:

The Jackdaw with the 'Scandanavian' collar was at Friary Hills.

Hello again David,

It was a pleasure to meet you to. yes it was a bit of a relief to turn the day around. I hope you and your young lady managed some decent birds to. Nice snap of the Scandie type Jack.

Regards Kieran

Last edited:
hi
I know it wasnt on your patch but I am always reading your reports
but is this a whooper or a bewick swan it was on clumber lake in north notts

Attachments

• bewick swan.jpg
    bewick swan.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 114
R.R. Swallow at Salthouse, Hoopoe in Overstrand, south-easterly airflow with rain forecast Friday night/Saturday a.m. On yer marks.

Attachments

• DSC08757-1.JPG
    DSC08757-1.JPG
    212.4 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC08765-1.JPG
    DSC08765-1.JPG
    211 KB · Views: 65

Users who are viewing this thread

Back