• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (17 Viewers)

A word off warning to any birders hoping to go to Thorpe Marshes Norwich , do not park in Whitlingham lane as there is no parking there now & they are giving out parking tickets to anyone who is not a resident , I have been in touch Broadland District Council & they told me its a private rd

I was surprised when I first saw the signs. Explained why there were no cars along the unadopted road (dog walkers vehicles included).

On a later visit I was standing one Sunday morning on the railway footbridge at the end of the lane, when the enforcement man turned up in a white van. No one was parked there, he turned around at the end and promptly left. I had parked nearby on Yarmouth Road, by other cars and away from anyone's front window. The only people I saw were two people with a dog, less than I would have expected.

Last edited:
Lunch

Hey all,

The easterly was really cutting this afternoon but, on the bright side, well, it was a little brighter.

A group of c.30 Dunlin were on a pool to the west of Salthouse's beach road, seemingly a sign of some movement. On the sea 3 adult Little Gulls laboured east .
Hopefully a Wheatear before the weeks out.

Kieran

Sea Palling
Braved the elements with one or two other hardy souls on the beach and even without the added bonus of the Glaucous Gulls a truly amazing sight with thousands of gulls either feeding in the surf or resting on the shoreline or on the inland fields.
Managed to catch up with the 3 1st-winters (managed to photograph a couple of them attached) but the 3rd-winter eluded me having been seen earlier on one of the fields inland of the dunes. Also adult Yellow-legged Gull plus a few Mediterranean Gulls in various plumages.

Mick

Attachments

• DSCF5664.JPG
    DSCF5664.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 208
  • DSCF5688.JPG
    DSCF5688.JPG
    177 KB · Views: 176
Barn Owl this evening at 6:15pm. (Originally posted in the Norwich birding thread..oops!)
Hope to spend more time watching this bird and enjoying more great views like this.

Also ringtail Hen Harrier just east of Wells flying towards Stiffkey marshes.

Attachments

• barn owl new 3.jpg
    barn owl new 3.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 90
  • barn owl new 4.jpg
    barn owl new 4.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 108
Sea Palling
Braved the elements with one or two other hardy souls on the beach and even without the added bonus of the Glaucous Gulls a truly amazing sight with thousands of gulls either feeding in the surf or resting on the shoreline or on the inland fields.
Managed to catch up with the 3 1st-winters (managed to photograph a couple of them attached) but the 3rd-winter eluded me having been seen earlier on one of the fields inland of the dunes. Also adult Yellow-legged Gull plus a few Mediterranean Gulls in various plumages.

Mick

Great shots Mick, looks like you had better light than Saturday! It really is brutal out there at the moment but seeing all those gulls was just fantastic.
Might have to make another trip over the weekend, just wish the wind would drop a touch!

Hi all. Had a nice suprise on my way to work this morning (about 6.30), as I drove past one of the flooded pools on Syderstone Common I noticed a drake Garganey. With no other traffic about I gently reversed back opposite where the bird was and lo and behold 3 other Garganey swam out from the edge of the pool to join the other (2 males and 2 females in all). Unfortunately after about a minute of watching them a white van drove past me at speed and all four birds flew off to the N.E. A patch tick, never seen so many together and a cracking start to the day. Ian

Hi all. Had a nice suprise on my way to work this morning (about 6.30), as I drove past one of the flooded pools on Syderstone Common I noticed a drake Garganey. With no other traffic about I gently reversed back opposite where the bird was and lo and behold 3 other Garganey swam out from the edge of the pool to join the other (2 males and 2 females in all). Unfortunately after about a minute of watching them a white van drove past me at speed and all four birds flew off to the N.E. A patch tick, never seen so many together and a cracking start to the day. Ian

Hi Ian

I am doing Syderstone Common and its surrounds for the Patchwork Challenge this year and have been very happy with 3 moorhens!! Which pools did you have the garganey on?

Paul

Titchwell March 27th

Today’s highlights

Yellow legged gull – 2 on fresh marsh
Med gull – 3 on fresh marsh
Woodcock – 4 in scrub near carpark
Avocet – 15 on fresh marsh

Paul

GGS at Egmere
Spent a while this morning failing to find the GGS but luckily was refound by Baz Harding and Dave H close to the Waterden Crossroads to the west of St Edmunds. Always fairly distant but at one stage did venture closer and managed a few shots.
Despite the freezing wind, plenty of raptors active at various sites with two hen harriers, three red kites and a peregrine with a total of 20+ Common Buzzards plus two barn owls hunting mid-morning.

Mick

Attachments

• DSCF5766.JPG
    DSCF5766.JPG
    230.6 KB · Views: 134
Hi Ian

I am doing Syderstone Common and its surrounds for the Patchwork Challenge this year and have been very happy with 3 moorhens!! Which pools did you have the garganey on?

Paul

Hi Paul

The Garganey were on the 1st pool after the Syderstone turn (coming down the hill from Wicken Green). A bit further along there is a larger flooded area. Hope this helps. I did have a further look when I returned from work this afternoon in the vain hope that they were still in the area but could'nt relocate them.

Ian

Thousands of gulls in a feeding frenzy at Titchwell RSPB this evening. Couldn't see any Little Gulls though. Loads of washed up starfish amongst the razor wreck.

Full update on blog.

Penny:girl:

Hi Paul

The Garganey were on the 1st pool after the Syderstone turn (coming down the hill from Wicken Green). A bit further along there is a larger flooded area. Hope this helps. I did have a further look when I returned from work this afternoon in the vain hope that they were still in the area but could'nt relocate them.

Ian

Thanks Ian. I have been checking it more as its been getting wetter. Snipe was the best I was hoping for!!

Will keep looking

Paul

I have been doing bird survey work in several woods this week in North Norfolk , and have been struck by the lack of birds and perhaps less surprisingly given the cold weather the lack of bird song. No sign of any summer migrants but thats to be expected with this springs weather . This is going to be the latest spring I have ever recorded chiffchaff.

In contrast I have robin , wren , blackbird and song thrush singing in my garden and the dunnocks started over a month ago. It goes to show the importance of feeding garden birds and getting them into breeding condition. I would guess those braving it in the open countryside are battling to survive and do not have the time to do much singing.

So far this year i have seen two summer migrants , a little ringed plover 2 weeks ago and a garganey yesterday.

No sign of any summer migrants but thats to be expected with this springs weather . This is going to be the latest spring I have ever recorded chiffchaff. In contrast I have robin , wren , blackbird and song thrush singing in my garden and the dunnocks started over a month ago. It goes to show the importance of feeding garden birds and getting them into breeding condition. I would guess those braving it in the open countryside are battling to survive and do not have the time to do much singing. So far this year I have seen two summer migrants , a little ringed plover 2 weeks ago and a garganey yesterday.

First singing Blackcap of the year today near my house, but it could have been an overwinterer. However, this is first winter that I haven't seen an overwintering Blackcap...
MJB

Following on from my post a couple of weeks ago about where to go to hear the earliest Chiffchaff singing - in a complete reversal of fortune, I am also now at the stage that whenever I hear one it will also be my latest ever songster. Looking forward to a nice four day break from work over Easter to hopefully break my spring duck as far as Chiffchaff or any other migrant goes.

New garden record

Maybe this is a sign that local birds are moving even if the summer migrants are delayed. A new bird in the squirrel proof feeder today and a new record for my garden was this male Reed Bunting.

Attachments

• Reed Bunting IMG_9582 web.jpg
    Reed Bunting IMG_9582 web.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 66
  • Reed Bunting IMG_9564.jpg
    Reed Bunting IMG_9564.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 58

Users who are viewing this thread

Back