• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (54 Viewers)

I have been told that this was a single observour sighting, he visited the site again yesterday but with no sighting.

Monday's 'sighting' is on Birdguides tonight without even a glum face at the side of it.
Looks like I'll be trekking over to Newholm on Sunday so long as the bird is still there tomorrow.

Bewick's Swan

Nice lifer today in the two Bewick's Swan in the field off Stickling Lane at Adwick upon Dearne with good clear views

Hi all

If the rain does not clear out the BTT I was thinking of heading over sunday -if allowed out!!! What I was hoping somebody could answer is if there are many lapland Buntings along the coast this winter, where have they been seen recently etc, would be good to try & see those on the same outing.

Good luck to anyone else venturing over - Ive just got a bad feeling the rain may move it on.......heres hoping I am wrong.

Cheers

John

Got the two Bewicks this morning - very easy to find, well worth a look if anyone's passing that way.

Great day at Old Moor afterwards - whooper swan, pintail, water rail, barn owl, green sandpiper, green woodpecker, tree sparrow, yellowhammer, stock dove and linnet all hoovered up for the year list!

Had a trip out this morning, Calder Wetlands had a small area ice free and I had a great opportunity for a Kingfisher shot which I blew by not realising the OS had been knocked off - see below, sharpened a bit but not cropped Aargh!

Worse still was four weeks worth of dog turds that had defrosted.

Couldn't face the inevitable Pugneys minefield so had a walk along the river, so high that nothing was on it, the banks were being washed clear though so a telly floated downstream along with thousands of plastic bottles. I'd imagine the Humber will be carrying some interesting debris over the next feww days.

Better weather predicted for tomorrow so off to Filey.

Attachments

• IMG_3478_1.JPG
    IMG_3478_1.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 77
Went to get Bewicks at mexboro this aft. Spotted 3 in a field so pulled up where i could and rushed to get them with my bins. Looked through a gap in hedge with my bins and nearly died of shame, 3 farmyard geese!!!! Spotted Bewicks in a field further on

The poecile tits that have been visiting my parents garden for the last 2 years were seen again today together for best ever views and could be confirmed as Willow Tits - seems likely they breed in the village (Langtoft) and may well be the source of the Tophill Low bird as im not aware of any closer breeders.

Hi all

If the rain does not clear out the BTT I was thinking of heading over sunday -if allowed out!!! What I was hoping somebody could answer is if there are many lapland Buntings along the coast this winter, where have they been seen recently etc, would be good to try & see those on the same outing.

Good luck to anyone else venturing over - Ive just got a bad feeling the rain may move it on.......heres hoping I am wrong.

Cheers

John

there was a flock of about 20 lapland buntings at the begining of the month up in a cliff top stubble field at buckton, theres been 2 or 3 kicking about in a stubble field near the golf course , here at flamborough too

The poecile tits that have been visiting my parents garden for the last 2 years were seen again today together for best ever views and could be confirmed as Willow Tits - seems likely they breed in the village (Langtoft) and may well be the source of the Tophill Low bird as im not aware of any closer breeders.

Did have Willow Tits down Leven Canal - summer 2008 - which may be even closer to Tophill - not checked a map tho'.

Keith/James I connected with the Black-throated today. It may just have gone missing this afty as part of its routine. I think it feeds for a bit then flies off elsewhere.

The weather there was evil today so people weren't hanging around if it wasn't showing.

If I get chance I may go back tomorrow to try and get a photo. I just wanted to make sure I added it to the Yorkshire list today just in case it cleared off overnight tonight with all the snow going. Having seen where it is and how it was behaving I don't think it will.

I missed adding the last one at Hoddy Cows to the YL as it was my first couple of days in a new job and I couldn't get away.

Went on to Flamborough today for the Pale-bellied Brents afterwards but dipped.

Last edited:
Thanks Steve, given me a bit more hope of connecting

I parked in the village hall car park. It's just a minute's walk from there down the hill. As you walk down the "No through road", the front gardens are on your right after about twenty yards. Viewing's not great as you are looking up the gardens with restricted viewing.

I'm sure it's easier though when horizontal sleet and biting winds aren't cutting through inadequate winter clothing. Ten mins. out of the car was about the limit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back