• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How yellow are female Serins? (1 Viewer)

Cuckoo-shrike

There have recently been two Serins on the nature reserve I help to manage here in Cornwall (Darrell - I did notify CBWPS!). It's been very rewarding as they have been feeding on the seeds of kale which, along with other crops, we planted specifically for finches and buntings.
One was clearly a male, having a bright yellow breast, forehead, supercilium, face-patch, nape and rump. The other was also yellow in the same places, but duller. The illustrations and descriptions of female Serin in the Collins guide, Jonsson's Birds of Europe and Concise BWP are at some variance.
The bird in the Collins guide is yellow, much less bright than the male shown, but this is described as a dull bird. A brighter "variation" is pictured alongside.
Jonsson's bird is much duller than Collins' dull example. The pale band around the ear-coverts is only faintly tinged yellow. Our duller bird was fairly bright here.
Concise BWP states, somewhat confusingly, that the female is "only dull yellow on face". The illustration however shows a bird similar to the Collins dull one. There is also an adult winter male shown, which most resembles our bird. Our obvious male was as bright as the summer male shown in BWP.
The only thing that the all the illustrations seem to agree on is the more extensive breast streaking on the females. I didn't notice this on our bird but I didn't get such good views of it. I went down today to try and resolve it, but it looks like they've moved on, probably as a result of the colder weather of the last couple of days.
On plumage I'm inclined to think they were both males, yet they behaved like a pair, frequently calling to each other, perching in the hedge together and chasing one another in flight, even when in a throng of 100+ Chaffinches. There were a couple of subdued snatches of song too, but from which one I don't know.
What does the team think?

Hi Aquila

Of the good numbers I saw in Greece over the course of a year a good many were very dull indeed. Jonsonn's birds are very close in fact, though i seem to recall the Greek birds were not quite so white below and a little browner above

I`m no expert...I`ve only seen very dull brown female Serins with the yellow really only discernable on the rump area (not even the face with a noticible yellow wash), but presumably brighter individuals (older?? perhaps) exist.
Wouldn`t suprise me at all to hear that females can exhibit the plumage features you`ve described.

Off thread, I know (apologies) - but do you know if it is worth looking for the shrike in Mansfield, Jason - it's been showing again this week?

Still about last thing I heard....showing well mid week at least

Its about 2 miles NE of Mansfield. From the B6030 Clipstone Road West roundabout take Crown Farm Way South. Park by the bridleway and walk NE for 100 yards to view the hedgerows near Newlands Farm Pond.

come on guy's, Aquila is asking about Serin!
if you cant help move to another page.

Aquila, i think i would tend to go for the breast colour & as you say they both looked like males they probably were even if they did act as a pair. could have been a first year bird with a second year or third even? that would throw you out if they happen to moult differently,
without the bird being very close or better still in the hand it can be hard as they dont always go by the book as you know. sorry cant be anymore help

Fair point,Wizard let's not be lazy and hijack another's Post;if information is required,take the trouble to start a Thread accordingly.

Grousemore said:
Fair point,Wizard let's not be lazy and hijack another's Post;if information is required,take the trouble to start a Thread accordingly.

......or use the PM system...........

Andy. {who can just about ID a singing or static male Serin by ear or eye,........females????}

Don`t be pedantic - scampo posted here because he saw I was involved in this thread and live locally to the bird he was asking about - I did him the courtesy of replying!!

Thanks Jason. As someone once said all this cruel world needs is a little kindness.

I hope to look out for the shrike this week.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back