• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New binoculars (1 Viewer)

I am looking to replace my old Leica 8x32s' after more than 20 years service. I do a lot of woodland birding now and find they are not as bright as I would like, maybe it's my ageing eyes.
I'm sure that after all these years optic design must have come on in leaps and bounds, so have been searching here and anywhere else I could find for potential replacements.
Swaro's are too costly as are the other top of the line Alphas, but the Conquest HDs are definite contenders.
The 8x32s appeal for their light weight, which is significant as I have some neck problems since having surgery 18 years ago. However, would I see a noticeable difference using the 8x42s?
Any help would be appreciated.

open you gloomy eyes,
and convert to zeiss,
the 7x42 FL:s are very nice,
;)

Bins arrived today and initial impression is a firm Wow! They feel great in the hand and colour and detail are first class. The only issue I have is that I cannot hold them right up to my eyes without vignetting and have to rest them on the supraorbital ridge. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Trevor,

Yes, they are good !

Can you let us know how well they control CA for you, if you are sensitive to it at all ?

I find this model excellent in this respect except in situations of high or very high glare, so clearly it's not an everyday issue.

There's a little ongoing discussion on the effectiveness or otherwise of ED and HD glass in the control of CA. People's experiences tend to differ quite widely even with the same model.

TBH I'm not really that sensitive to CA, but I'll see if I get any during use and let you know.
I can't get over how much greater the resolving power of these is, even compared to my Leica's.
Many thanks to all for helping me reach the decision to buy these bins.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back