• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lake Balaton Hungary (1 Viewer)

petej

I am taking a "family" ( not birding ) holiday end of May at Lake Balaton but will take my "bins" and wondered if anyone out there can advise what i can expect to seeand what i should look out for.

petej said:
I am taking a "family" ( not birding ) holiday end of May at Lake Balaton but will take my "bins" and wondered if anyone out there can advise what i can expect to seeand what i should look out for.

The following link is very informative:-

Hungary Birding

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
I spent a week at Keszthely at the western end of Balaton last August. It wasn't a birding trip but I saw a reasonable amount. It was particularly good for woodpeckers. I saw seven species in the wooded campsites by the lake shore, including Syrian, Black, Grey-headed and all three 'Spotted' species. The wooded hills are good too and have birds like Crested Tit and Hobby. They're also very good for butterflies.

I visited the large wetland at Kisbalaton and got taken on a rather brief guided tour. You have to get a guide from the National Park to access most areas, but it's probably worth it. Species I saw included White-tailed Eagle, Squacco Heron, Pygmy Cormorant and Ferruginous Duck. In late May you should do very well for warblers and other summer visitors.

There is also moderately good birding on the Tihany peninsula. Look for the trails going by the interior lakes/ponds. The walking is pleasant and several habitats converge there. Can be heavily touristed with hikers. Try to go on a weekday and start early in the day. But certainly worthwhile!
I think Andrew is right that Kis Balaton, a few km west of the lake, is the best birding in the area. You can't just walk into the reserve there. Be sure to stop at the MME ringing station near Fenekpuszta in the Felvideki National Park, & stop at the park offices to arrange someone to take you birding there. Best to try first the ringing station for a guide who may be more enthusiastic and friendly!

The rest of Balaton is very built up for tourism & in general is not ideal for birding.

Marc

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back