• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Top 10 Most Wanted in Britain (1 Viewer)

But surely the mistake is limiting oneself to some pseudo-scientific or other "self-prescribed" geographical region...embrace your WORLD LIST and rejoice in the freedom you suddenly gain...it DOESN'T MATTER WHERE you see the bird...as long as it's on PLANET EARTH...

But surely the mistake is limiting oneself to some pseudo-scientific or other "self-prescribed" geographical region...embrace your WORLD LIST and rejoice in the freedom you suddenly gain...it DOESN'T MATTER WHERE you see the bird...as long as it's on PLANET EARTH...

But check out the title of the thread! You need to start one called "Ten birds I really to want to see in the World" or whatever. My list there would be different but be equally (or more) important to me.

cheers, a

If only I could be on holiday 365 days a year!

For me there are still a few birds I haven't seen in the UK that I've seen elsewhere that didn't make the list. All those on my list would be lifers.

1. Snowy owl
2. Gyr Falcon
3. Scops Owl
4. Wallcreeper
5. Harlequin duck
6. Black-browed albatross
7. Dotterel
8. Long-eared Owl
9. American Bittern
10. Capercaillie

Definitely a few shrikes for me:

1. Masked Shrike
2. Brown Shrike
3. Dusky Thrush (ad. male)
4. maybe a Pechora Pipit (just to show I search through the pipits)
5. Blue-cheeked Bee-eater
6. All the Scottish specialities eg. both eagle sp. Crested Tit, all the crossbill sp. (not including Common)
7. All the grouse sp.
8. a nice easy to ID American gull sp. eg. Franklin's Gull
9. any albatross sp.
10. I know it hasn't been seen in Britain before but Black Woodpecker

Blackburnian Warbler
Tufted Puffin
Varied Thrush
Tengmalm's Owl
Hawk Owl
American Redstart
Siberian Rubythroat (ad male)
Barred Warbler (spring male) (my sop to birding rather than listing!)
Evening Grosbeak
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

John

1/ snowy owl
2/ scops owl
3/ gyr falcon
4/ lammergeier
5/ roller
6/ king eider
7/ chestnut eared bunting
8/ griffon vulture
9/ bald eagle
10/ harlequin duck

Too many to narrow down so I've gone for 10 that have caught my imagination over the years.

Magnificent Frigatebird
Wallcreeper
Either Albatross
Yellow bellied sapsucker
Hawk owl
Cretzschmars bunting
Harlequin
Pallas Gull
Grey tailed tattler
Parula warbler

I like the idea of gyr falcon and ivory gull, although I'd rather see them in the Arctic because it would that I'm, erm, in the Arctic!

I'm not too fussy, would like some of these:

Hawfinch
Quail
Avocet
Wryneck
Hobby

hummm... In no particular order

Ross' Gull
White-crowned Black Wheatear
Hawk Owl
American Redstart
Evening Grosbeak
Wallcreeper
Little Bustard
Siberian Thrush
Lanceolated Warbler
Cream-coloured Courser

I do like this kinda thread :) always good for fantasizing.

I'm not putting these in order...they're all blinders

Ancient Murrelet
Pallas's Sandgrouse
Varied Thrush
Aleutian Tern
Wood Thrush
'Madieran' Stormy (couldn't really care less what season it breeds in)
Yellow-nosed Albert
Rock Sparrow
Eleonora's Falcon
White-crowned Black Wheatear

Some real blockers there

Last edited:
agree, I'm the same, much rather see birds in their native range than as vagrants here

You can do both - To take a topical example, I've been lucky enough to wintering in Chestnut-eared Buntings in Thailand, as a migrant (breeder?) in northern China and as a vagrant on Fair Isle. All great experiences but different.

cheers, alan

You can do both - To take a topical example, I've been lucky enough to wintering in Chestnut-eared Buntings in Thailand, as a migrant (breeder?) in northern China and as a vagrant on Fair Isle. All great experiences but different.

Each to their own of course and I guess I'd enjoy seeing one if I stumbled across it by accident, but wouldn't go out of my way. That aspect of birding just doesn't appeal to me.

My list is much more pedestrian but it would make me very happy to see any of the following:

Hoopoe
Hawfinch
Lesser spotted woodpecker
Golden oriole
Capercaille
Sea eagle
Goshawk
Nightjar
Grasshopper warbler
Waxwing

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back