• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2 x rather non-descript fungi for ID if possible. (1 Viewer)

Rudegar

The first LBM has no real redeeming features except that the end of the stipe is reddish. Spores white, smooth, almond shaped measuring about 8x4 um. The other has globular spores, also white, with tiny warts. Shows some characteristics of a deceiver but seems rather big at about 5cms, with quite a short stipe. They were both in the leaf litter of an oak/birch copse.
Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• Fungi-1-14.jpg
    Fungi-1-14.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 67
  • Fungi-5-5.jpg
    Fungi-5-5.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Fungi-2-4.jpg
    Fungi-2-4.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Fungi-3-10.jpg
    Fungi-3-10.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 73
  • Fungi-4-8.jpg
    Fungi-4-8.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 73
Hi Colin,

Very nice images.

The lack of veil coupled with free gills is a pointer towards Gymnopus/Marasmius. It's Gymnopus peronatus Wood Woolly Foot.

The second is a Russula. If you mount the spores in iodine, their spines should be amyloid (=they become dark blue). I guess it's one of the species in the R.foetans group. Don't suppose you noticed any peculiar smells?

Cheers,
Nick

Last edited:
Hi Nick. I'm way off the mark again as usual.

The second one didn't quite look to me like a russula should. Although there was a russula quite nearby and on checking they do seem to have similar spores - Could this yellow one possibly be r.foetens as well?
I didn't smell it I'm afraid - shall have to remember to add this to my repertoire in the future!
Colin

Attachments

• P7160026.jpg
    P7160026.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 60
Hi Colin,

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same species, though I wouldn't want to call them R.foetans for sure, especially without notes on the smell (R.foetans has a distinctive, fishy smell)

Cheers,
Nick

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back