• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's in your garden? (1 Viewer)

Thanks Elizabeth. I wish my sunflower hearts would last that long, however, it is the young sparrows that are eating most of them at present. Well, I say at present, not since Thursday when I ran out, and my car is kapputt until I can get it fixed, hopefully tomorrow, so they are having to make do with black sunflower at present. I was only using a 13kg sack every three weeks in winter. I started buying these to attract goldfinches and siskins, and it worked (along with the niger) so I am afraid to stop now, it's taken me 5 years to get them to the garden.

I thought I was doing well getting mine for £19.99 by the way, and I pay £14.99 for the black seeds. How do the pet shops who sell these loose by the kilo sleep at night with what they charge for them loose ? (£2 a kilo in one local shop) Such extortion!

Made up - I've just this minute seen the first ever Nuthatch in the garden, having a go at the peanuts, before flying off. Does anyone else get them regularly to feeders or was it likely a one-off visit?

Ben Dickinson said:
Made up - I've just this minute seen the first ever Nuthatch in the garden, having a go at the peanuts, before flying off. Does anyone else get them regularly to feeders or was it likely a one-off visit?

Get nuthatches regularly most of the time in this part of the world - though I've only seen two together a couple of times in the last 13 years. They usually favour the black sunflower seeds, but sometimes visit the peanut feeders.

How long does it take your birds to return after the sparrowhawk has been round? I've found that if it has failed to catch something, then it will be 15-20 mins before they come out of hiding, but if it has been successful, then they're out again in 5 mins. They must know they're safe for a while!
Cheers
Mary

Mary said:
How long does it take your birds to return after the sparrowhawk has been round? I've found that if it has failed to catch something, then it will be 15-20 mins before they come out of hiding, but if it has been successful, then they're out again in 5 mins. They must know they're safe for a while!
Cheers
Mary
After an unsuccessful sortie, I would think the same as you, but fortunately I have not been around to witness a kill - only found the evidence later in the day.

Ben Dickinson said:

Hi Ben
I luckily see a Nuthatch at least 4 days a week, and it's probably there everyday, just don't see him/her! Like Elizabeth though, there's only ever one, but once did have a pair sharing the peanuts on the same feeder. Mine only ever go on the peanuts to my knowledge, and the one that is coming now is very cheeky, and comes to the only one that I have near the house, and shows no fear if I walk nearby. It actually looks like a youngster, but maybe it's a harrassed adult who looks worn out!

I've been thrilled this weekend to see both parent Goldfinches feeding two youngsters, and Siskins with several screaming babies - boy do they like to make themselves heard! If they stick around now, I should have quite a little flock of Siskins this year. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back