• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden (Yard) List 2012 (1 Viewer)

Likewise...I've seen a Spoonbill, but I couldn't have ID'd it in the heat haze had Inot know it was there....would be the 200th for the house too.

Collared Dove - This mornings visitor to our garden - very common, but according to the "Book" - i.e. Collins - described as "a medium sized, elongated, rather elegant dove with long tail and pale plumage" - IMHO they are attractive birds

managed to get his/her red eye in the last shot - back garden this morning whilst I was having my morning cuppa and biscuits!

Shooting into the sun a little!

Attachments

• C_Dove_1.jpg
    C_Dove_1.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 52
  • C_Dove_2.jpg
    C_Dove_2.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 32
  • C_Dove_3.jpg
    C_Dove_3.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 64
58)Nightingale o:Do:Do:Do:Do:D

I am so pleased! This is my crowning glory species that I see and hear every year. It has bred within yards of my garden but in recent years I've been really concerned because of a huge build up of Fallow Deer numbers: there is a herd of 40+ that I see daily.........nice you may think........but they graze the understory of the woods mercilessly and the habitat that Nightingales like is being slowly destroyed by their browsing. In my own way I am encouraging a scrubby area of Blackthorn and brambles and nettles and this is where it's been today. I am so happy!!!!!!!! I really really hope he attracts a mate and stays!

Last edited:

I am so pleased! This is my crowning glory species that I see and hear every year. It has bred within yards of my garden but in recent years I've been really concerned because of a huge build up of Fallow Deer numbers: there is a herd of 40+ that I see daily.........nice you may think........but they graze the understory of the woods mercilessly and the habitat that Nightingales like is being slowly destroyed by their browsing. In my own way I am encouraging a scrubby area of Blackthorn and brambles and nettles and this is where it's been today. I am so happy!!!!!!!! I really really hope he attracts a mate and stays!

Nice one

Don't expect me to post anything more remotely interesting ... I just used up my yard list luck for several years at least!
Yesterday I had two Fish Crows fly across chasing a red-tailed hawk. Fish crows are far from a common species here: there are less than 20 records for the province, and this is the first county record!

This should have been 28, and with a few more common raptors:

29. Fish Crow
30. Turkey Vulture
31. Sharp-shinned Hawk

32. Tree Swallow
33. Chipping Sparrow

Fish crows still in the area and being seen by most local birders, have had them from the window a few more times.

:t:

Wonderful....and I'm very jealous

Well done on Nightingale habitat management, Joanne. Having possibly missed Crane this morning, after being away from home for the first time this year, I did see a

68 : Swallow

Before I left yesterday. This is the second latest sighting ever here.

Love the story of the nightingale. Hope you get your wish and they breed. Fabulous birds.

Wonderful....and I'm very jealous

Well done on Nightingale habitat management, Joanne..

Thanks all. It's blowing a bitter north wind today. No sign of him; hope he's just hunkered down in the blackthorn.......probably wishing he'd waited another week.

89. Swallow
90. Chiffchaff. Having bungled the heard individual 3 weeks ago, I didnt expect to get another chance. Only our 3rd sight record.

Rob

The all garden list is 279. 928 species/garden/years and Swallow is the fastest riser up the charts

By 928 do you mean that is the total tally of records ...?

ie the same as 10 gardens with c.93 species seen in each
20 gardens with c.46 each ? ... etc

What does this make the average per garden to be? (And how many do you have 'complete' lists for?)

(Everyone knows how much you love statistics ... ;) )

You got it. These are the most recorded species

Starling 18 gardens , House Sparrow 17 Blue Tit 16 Great Tit 16
etc

I don't have complete lists for a few of the gardens that I'm keeping updates (Ken and Rob for example) for, but my avg garden score is 40

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back