• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Adder on Anglesey (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
Pretty sure this is an adder. I came across it while walking over Holyhead mountain
The only reason for doubt is the web information indicates it's only seen down south.
I tried to get the wife to hold it-I told it her would make a good photo-but for some reason she wouldn't.

Attachments

• Adder.jpg
    Adder.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 484
David Smith said:
Pretty sure this is an adder. I came across it while walking over Holyhead mountain
The only reason for doubt is the web information indicates it's only seen down south.
I tried to get the wife to hold it-I told it her would make a good photo-but for some reason she wouldn't.

Yes its an Adder. Looks like a male. Nice find.

David Smith said:

About 5 yrs. ago one member of our party saw an adder curled up in the grass at South Stack. By the time she had attracted our attention, though, it was long gone. So - yes - they are around there.

Sandra

David Smith said:

Adders are pretty much everywhere in UK so always look before you sit down in the countryside.

John

MlZad said:
Yep, it's an Adder alright, Vipera berus berus, a male. How large was he?

Well, as I said, I tried to get my wife to hold it but she wouldn't. I would estimate 400-500mm but difficult as it was constantly moving.

David Smith said:
Well, as I said, I tried to get my wife to hold it but she wouldn't. I would estimate 400-500mm but difficult as it was constantly moving.
Hi Dave, lovely male adder. Hope you have more luck in other areas.

Whenever I visit South Stack I always keep an eye out for adders, I must have read it somewhere that they breed there though I've never seen one - then again I've never gone looking for one!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back