• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which garden birds peck or fly into your windows? (1 Viewer)

roerig

Have you seen a bird peck at a window or mirror?

In 2012 I collected observations on Facebook and elsewhere as part of research I did for an Ornithological Observations paper. I have now created a simple website where you can download the paper, browse through all known records of 'shadow boxing birds' and - most importantly - submit observations via a simple form. Check it out! http://shadowboxingbirds.wordpress.com/

Ha ha, we get this so often on our car mirrors, as we live close to the river Taff; we get the Grey-Wagtail and the Pied Wagtail, cling to the mirrors on our car, bobbing up-and-downlooking at themselves in the reflective glass. They do leave a bit of a mess with their droppings on the car doors. Also, our resident Robin is regular to our kitchen window; sometimes a sparrow or two and wee Jenny Wren sometimes comes to look in at us.

Ps, just looked at : http://shadowboxingbirds.wordpress.com/ and loved the photos..

Last edited:
Most of the time they are looking for tiny bugs in the frame of the windows, our Bluetits' do it regularly round here, also on houses with have been pebble dashed, looking in all the crevice's. Ive watched them do it countless times, although i must admit ive seen them also looking directly in to there reflection and going mental, especially Robins. Our birds, don't we just love em.

Damian

Although not a frequent visitor to my garden, a raven will aggressivly peck at its own reflection in a mirror. When I used to drive log truck they would sit on the supports for the passenger side west coast mirror and take food from my hand. When ever they noticed their reflection in the mirror they would attack it, and on a couple of occassions they broke the mirrors.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back