• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Big Garden Birdwatch 2015 (1 Viewer)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
Looking forward taking part in The Garden Birdwatch next weekend. Hopefully there will be no computer crashes like last year.

Just completed my Big Garden Birdwatch did it from 11:10am-12:10pm my results are 7 Wood Pigeons 35 House Sparrows 2 Dunnocks 8 Carrion Crows 1 Coal Tit 12 Blue Tits 2 Blackbirds & 1 Song Thrush.

I managed eight. Blue Tit (2), Robin (2), Wood Pigeon (2), Dunnock, Wren, Blackbird (2), Song Thrush and a Goldfinch. I watched the clock hoping the GSW and Great Tits would appear finally let me hit double figures, but it wasn't to be. I did see a Grey Wagtail earlier when I was filling the feeders but I resisted the urge to cheat for a nine!

Compares with the same last year and seven in 2013.

14 species:
3 woodpigeon, 2 blue tit, 3 magpie, 3 blackbird, 3 great tit, 1 mistle thrush, 1 robin, 9 goldfinch, 2 coal tit, 4 long-tailed tit, 2 dunnock, 2 collared dove, 4 starling and 2 goldcrest

Don't really have a garden we could have done a meaningful count in. Instead, headed to the feeding station at a local nature reserve for which I have some responsibility and counted the birds there (cheating I know!).

Highlights - 17 species including 3 Reed Bunting, 2 Great Spotted Woodpeckers, Water Rail (!) and 9 Long-tailed Tits.

Write-up on the blog with a few pics - http://stithiansreservoirbirding.blogspot.co.uk/

Completed mine today between 8.30 and 9.30.
19 species:
2 woodpigeon, 6 blue tit, 2 coal tit, 3 great tit, 4 long tailed tit, 7 blackbird, 2 song thrush, 3 robin, 2 goldfinch, 4 chaffinch, 2 greenfinch, 2 dunnock, 2 nut hatch, 2 collared dove, 4 starling, 1 wren, 1 jay, and 2 pheasant.

Did mine yesterday at quite a quiet part of the day apparently - 1.30 to 2.30pm, usually busy. Had 14 House Sparrow, 25 Starling, 1 Magpie, 2 Wood Pigeon, 2 Great Tit, 1 Blue Tit, and 1 Chaffinch. Should have got up for the morning buffet sitting!

Completed today between 10.15 and 11.15

1 GSW
23 House sparrow
5 Chaffinch
2 Dunnock
2 Robin
1 Coal tit
2 Blue tit
2 Great tit
4 Wood pigeon
1 Collared dove
2 Greenfinch
1 Magpie
3 Starling
2 Blackbird
1 Feral pigeon
2 Goldfinch
1 Siskin

Also had a flyover from 1 Herring gull and 2 Jackdaw

Sparrow, starling and collared dove numbers way below normal.

Sunday 11:07-12:07

blackbird 3 (2 male, 1 female)
blue tit 2
chaffinch 1 (male)
great tit 3
jackdaw 2
robin 3
rook 1
thrush 1
wood pigeon 3

(and a squirrel)

Took part for the first time ever this year but after posting my findings wondered whether I'd correctly followed the rules.

So, please tell me you ARE allowed to include all birds you see even if they are way beyond your own garden?

It's not like 'garden listing' where you can include flyovers or birds seen from the garden etc.

The idea is to record the birds visiting your garden as far as I understand.

So, no.

wotcha - you only count the birds which land in your garden.

Whoops! However, reading that made me recheck the BGB page on the RSPB website, here's what it says:

"Watch and record the number of birds in your garden, or nearby green space." Not all that clear tbh. Maybe the latter is intended only for those who don't have a garden.

Will check with RSPB to find out whether I can / should rescind my submission, and report back.

Whoops! However, reading that made me recheck the BGB page on the RSPB website, here's what it says:

"Watch and record the number of birds in your garden, or nearby green space." Not all that clear tbh. Maybe the latter is intended only for those who don't have a garden.

Will check with RSPB to find out whether I can / should rescind my submission, and report back.

@ dantheman and Kits: RSPB advisor confirmed exactly what you said, I was supposed to have counted only birds actually IN the garden, not around. However he did agree the wording on the BGB page could be confusing and said he would pass it on up to whovever decides the wording for next year.

Meantime it's unfortunately too late to rescind my entry for this year. Damn and blast!

Oh well, onwards and upwards. Don't suppose i'm the only one ever to have submitted a dodgy entry. :gh:

Last edited:
I'm sure you're not, and at least you did it accidentally. One of my friends counts birds on the BW weekend, and then counts them during the following week and the next weekend and submits the count with the highest number which rather defeats the object of the exercise. I have tried explaining to her that there is no prize for having more goldfinches etc than everyone else, but she has been doing it this way for the past 8 years. Grrrrr! :C

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back