• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Twilight feeders (1 Viewer)

grobble

Which birds do you see feeding at dusk?

The Blue Tits are always last here. I suppose it's because they are the smallest and most often bullied that they find it a good time, when all the other birds have settled for the night.

My cardinals prefer to show up in the evening when all the other birds are gone. Sometimes it's so dark I can only see their silhouettes! They're much shyer than my goldfinches and redpolls and will typically fly away if they catch me watching them.

My cardinals prefer to show up in the evening when all the other birds are gone. Sometimes it's so dark I can only see their silhouettes! They're much shyer than my goldfinches and redpolls and will typically fly away if they catch me watching them.

Same here

The last birds are Great tit, Blue tit and Long-tailed tit and sometimes crested tit. Dunnock can make a late appearance as well. All the locations with food are spread out and some locations are in favour of the smaller birds which makes bullying rare.

I have read a few times that small mammals need to feed more regularly than larger ones. Perhaps the same applies for the small birds? I tent to find that the large birds (Pigeons, Jay, Woodpeckers) are the first to leave. And the smallest the last. Although of course every species will have further individual reasons to do something totally different.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back