• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron 8x42 HRWP versus old Porro Countryman 8x42 (1 Viewer)

Malcolm Stewart

I was just about ready to order a new 8x42 HRWP, but before I sent the order off, I checked the coverage of my old Extra Wide Field Countryman 8x42 WA, and was horrified to see that I'd be losing angular coverage to quite a serious degree. 112m at 1000m, versus 143m at 1000m on the old pair.

I note that several people here use the new 8x42 HRWP and wonder how they get on with them. Checking out Opticron's specs for angular coverage doesn't seem to support the claims that the newer 8x42 HRWP combines the best of both Porro and Roof prism designs. Using the older 8x42s I certainly don't feel that the view is "Extra Wide"! (Perhaps because I'm a spectacle wearer?)

For general use I'm happy with a pair of 7x35 Porro prism bins (Minolta Activa), and they do seem to have a decently wide field - 9.3° claimed.

Hi

I read your post earlier today and knowing I was going out to use my 8x42 HRWPs I thought I would think about the FOV in practice again this morning. I have spent the morning with a few people from a local society bird watching on Bookham Common.

I come to the same conclusion I did some time ago (see http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=177302) these are really good binoculars particularly when you can find them for less than £200.

Part of the morning was spent in woodland and part in open country at times it was sunny then the fog would move back in yet all of the time I could see what I wanted very clearly and very bright. With regard to FOV I did not once think this was a problem even though I was thinking about it! The only negative I can see after using the HRWPs for about 4 months is you may find them wide if you have small-ish hands....

Hope this helps
Lee

PS I wear glasses all the time

Thanks for your reply and link, from which I see that others have mentioned the narrow FoV.

I think I'll now have to compare my present Countryman pair with the 8x42 HRWPs at a dealers, probably InFocus at London Colney. Last time I did that, I decided that whilst I could see differences between my old Opticron HR60ED telescope, the money required to buy its modern replacement was simply not worth it - for my usage. I'm more into taking photographs of wildfowl rather than identifying anything which passes within 50m.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back