• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

traveller 8x32 vs discovery 8x32 (1 Viewer)

My wife's first binocular were the discover 8x32. We still have it, although it's in need of attention. I had once tried a friend's Traveller MG 8x32 and thought that it was very good, significantly better than the Discovery, but then you would expect that as the Traveller costs around £250 compared to the £145 for the Discovery. I recall that the Traveller is made in Japan and carries a better warranty.
I bought two Travellers, they have a smaller FOV but more saturated colours than the Discovery. Sadly, those two didn't seem to match the sharpness of my friend's example, I returned them. They were both ex-display/demo bins, so perhaps they were not the best examples to buy. I didn't get to try them side by side with the Discovery.

Just lately, I have been looking for a small 8x32 for hiking. I have found a few. One, for example, is the Viking Vistron Pro 8x32. A similar weight and size to the Discovery, but with the similar FOV to the Traveller.

Here's an interesting binocular that looks so like the Traveller that I wonder if it is the same optics.
Burris Signature Select

The Burris Signature Select 8x32. Made in Japan, very similar specs although not the Magnesium body. I am very tempted to try a pair at £125, but for their weight of around 460g and the similar small FOV of around 6.5 degrees (a bit of a deal breaker for me these days).

There's not many sub 400g binoculars out there, but at 430g, the Nikon 7 8x30 (at a similar price to the Traveller) really deserves serious thought.

Incidentally, in my search, I found a seller offering the Bushnell Elite 7x26 reverse porro at around £170 inc UK import duties. Another one for thought. It's agony....

Dave

Last edited:
Thanks, Dave. I have an old B&L 7x26 and I was thinking of buying the new version, but they are not water-resistant and so it seems also not cold-resistant. So I was thinking of something similar in seize and weight, but better weather-resistant. I came across the Traveller and it looked attractive, certainly because I might prefer the 6x power. And according to Oetzi somewhere here on BF the 6x power is the best of the Travellers. But then I saw the Discovery and it got quite good reviews, but no direct comparisons with the Traveller, so I wanted to be sure that the Traveller was the better one and you gave me the answer. But it seems that I have to try them first to test if they are sharp enough.

The specifications of the Burris looks the same as the Vixen 8x32:
http://www.telescoop.nl/vixen-fores...aign=adwords&gclid=CJGC24GsjsACFcrjwgodiLgAJQ

Last edited:
Burris Signature Select 8x32

Only loosely connected to the title of the original thread (apologies to all).
I couldn't find any review of the Burris Signature Select 8x32, but noted that the 8x42 version has a badge claiming that it is Phase Coated (or should that be Phase Corrected?).
This, fact that they are Japanese made and that they look very similar to other more expensive binoculars (Traveller and the Vixen) drove me to risk a purchase (I am weak).
They look very like the Traveller, except, of course. it is rubber armoured. They have the feel of the Traveller and from what I remember, the view, FOV, sharpness, colour etc is very much similar to the Traveller (FOV ~6.4 degrees, nice sweet-spot and saturated colours, all very nice in a very compact body).
This binocular, however, had a couple of problems which made it unusable (for me).
I returned the binocular. I would try a replacement, but the seller had no more stock.

Dave

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back