• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (45 Viewers)

I think it favours the other bigger drain 45 deg to Outstray drain with Pumping station at the end, but here it can be easily flushed here as it is relatively open and you walk the high seawall to view the area.

Below are options, were we saw Sunday, if it gets in the small ditch it can be difficult to view without walking the ditch, as it has a hidden bend. If it gets on the reedbed in the circled area viewing is just as bad!! The reedbed is surrounded by Hawthorns mostly. There are plenty of other ditches in the general area. Hope this helps Steve.

Cheers all. I was viewing the ditch - your blue line Daz. I did see a birder heading towards your other drains just as i was leaving, and it seems it had re-orinetated to these even though it had appeared to fly to the pools.

Lawts,

Further to previous answers, this is my personal account, but could've just been it's whereabouts on that particular day (Monday).
Pic below shows where I parked (red dot), trail I took (yellow dots), where the bird was favouring (arrow), it flushed to the other red dot then went back towards it's favoured place (arrow) when we'd retreated far enough.

It did seem settled around the arrow and proved it by going back there.

Cheers,

Q

I can confirm that it was at Q's red arrow again between 11am & 3pm yesterday.

Spent a lovely evening last night at the badger watch which the Forestry Commission runs from Dalby Forest. (Ring 01751 460295 for more info & to book) 3 badgers showed, 1 as soon as we got to the hide. Once it went back in its sett the ranger put out some peanuts and it was not long before 1 scuttled to the top in front of the hide. Another came up later - taking it in turns - I assume a pecking order situation. Great experience and a first for me after a few failed attempts in scotland the other year. A brucey bonus was 2 woodcock flying over our heads as we headed back to the car. Great night and I would recommend it to anyone.

Wheldrake Ings

A little egret today and good selection warblers including;chiffchaff/willow/blackcap/garden/sedge/whitethroat/reed and lesser whitethroat.Quiet otherwise.Attached photos of last 2,which I've usually failed miserably to photo!

Attachments

• ReedWarbler.jpg
    ReedWarbler.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 76
  • LesserWhitethroat.jpg
    LesserWhitethroat.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 83
Went to Figham tonight. Plenty of swallows feeding some coming quite close when flying off the river. Walked along the Beck, got some great views of them perched on ladders in the boat yard. Also seem to be nesting in the grit store as saw a few flying in and out.

Spent a lovely evening last night at the badger watch which the Forestry Commission runs from Dalby Forest. (Ring 01751 460295 for more info & to book) 3 badgers showed, 1 as soon as we got to the hide. Once it went back in its sett the ranger put out some peanuts and it was not long before 1 scuttled to the top in front of the hide. Another came up later - taking it in turns - I assume a pecking order situation. Great experience and a first for me after a few failed attempts in scotland the other year. A brucey bonus was 2 woodcock flying over our heads as we headed back to the car. Great night and I would recommend it to anyone.

Where is that John? Sounds like a great experience!
After watching the springwatch High Seas programme last night i'd really like to observe some sea birds, especially the puffins & gannets, does anyone have any suggestions of somewhere nearby? I live in Leeds

After watching the springwatch High Seas programme last night i'd really like to observe some sea birds, especially the puffins & gannets, does anyone have any suggestions of somewhere nearby? I live in Leeds

I know its a bit further but I went to the Farnes today and it was stunning . Its in my top 5 birding experiences of all time!

I know its a bit further but I went to the Farnes today and it was stunning . Its in my top 5 birding experiences of all time!

How do? I usually make an annual trip to the farnes, its cracking! I always get shat on + an arctic tern once brought blood pecking my baldy head even through my cap. Whilst up there it could be a good idea to make a boat trip to Coquet Island, though landings not allowed, to get good close views of Roseate Terns. Sailings to Coquet are tide dependant so check tide times first

Hi Andy

We were asked to meet the ranger near pickering - around an hours drive from Leeds. the ranger then takes you to the hide - we arrived at the hide around 7.30pm and left around 10pm. It costs £12 each. The visits only take place on Mondays & Wednesdays to start of august, possible you could probably book the whole hide for yourself on another night - at a price!!! I took are lass, me mam & brother and they are all still buzzing about the experience. Just type in dalby forest badger watch on the web for more info.

As far as puffins & gannets - I agree with the others on here - I was at Bempton last week and did not need my bins for the puffins, a few corkers right next to one of the viewing platforms. Loads of gannets, razorbills, guilemots, kittiwakes, fulmars. I even had a couple of corn buntings sat on the fence posts - been a long time since Ive seen any at bempton.

I hope you get to enjoy both experiences.

cheers

John

Nice day for it, I would imagine few crowds as well. Did you get shat on?

No Jim I didn't but was certainly getting dive bombed by the Arctic Terns !You are right ,it was a bonza of a day,and the crowds werent overwhelming. The trip to go on is Billy Shiels 51/2 hour trip which gives you 2 hours on Staple and 2 hours on Inner Farne.£28 steep but worth it.There is a landing fee of £6 at both islands if you are a non national trust member.I was just hoping for a late migrant ,but had 1 swallow over the sea and 5 ??late Brent Geese over.

Attached a couple pics to show whats possible.

Attachments

• Shag2.jpg
    Shag2.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 61
  • Puffin5.jpg
    Puffin5.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 55
Headed up to Scotland (Boat of Garten) for a week (set-off yesterday), hopefully i can clear up a few specialities and get a decent view of a RinG Ouzel. If anyone has any good info on highland eagles or anyting else that would be great. James has been kind enough to give me some great info but anymore would be great. Also i'll be keeping my eyes peeled for Merlin/Harriers/SEO as i've never seen them outside of winter.

A very excited Mark.

Headed up to Scotland (Boat of Garten) for a week (set-off yesterday), hopefully i can clear up a few specialities and get a decent view of a RinG Ouzel. If anyone has any good info on highland eagles or anyting else that would be great. James has been kind enough to give me some great info but anymore would be great. Also i'll be keeping my eyes peeled for Merlin/Harriers/SEO as i've never seen them outside of winter.

A very excited Mark.

Mark, if you haven't already done so then pm Marcus.... he should be able to give you some up to date gen.
Lucky man I've yet to get to Scotland on a birding holiday

Great day at old moor and area saw a lifer broad billed sandpiper and plentey of other stuff :t:

First ever record for Old Moor too .. Good stuff .. Credit goes out to Dave Waddington for finding it at 10am this morning. It was still there this evening so there may be half a chance tomorrow for another view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back