• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can you do it all with one pair of binos? (1 Viewer)

Macaoidh

Decision tree: Better to spend all my budget (approx $300) on one set of binos that would work for at home and travel for birding/nature watching, or get a real compact, waterproof set for travel, and a larger set of porros for home/neighborhood. 8x for each.

For example:

Monarch 8x36 / EO 8x32 / Leupold Katami - Approx $260-$320, tough to travel with (not pocketable at all, even a coat pocket) but great overall binos.

vs.

Pentax DCF MP 8x28 - either as sole pair or the travel pair, plus/minus
Nikon action/extreme 8x40 or leupold yosemite 8x30, or...?

vs.

Nikon Prostaff 8x25 plus
Nikon action extreme 8x40 or other ~$200 porro/roof? And which one?

I've read and looked through so much lately, I'm just swimming with too much to consider. What's the better compromise, loss of optic quality with 2, or light, and perhaps optics quality with 1 smaller bino? I'd appreciate input from y'all. HELP ME SPEND MY MONEY! :^)

Best,
Christopher

Last edited:
I would not go with the ProStaff alone. They are reliable enough, but I have better pairs. Curiously, the corresponding Travelite appears to me a tiny bit sharper, though has more flare.

The EO 8x32 is sharp enough in the middle, but sweet spot a bit small for the money. I like them, though, not a problem to spend a day with them. The Monarch 8x36 is overalla similar.

...What's the better compromise, loss of optic quality with 2, or light, and perhaps optics quality with 1 smaller bino?

Welcome aboard.

My advise is always to get the best quality you can afford. About $300 should be enough for a medium 8x that will provide very good service. You might expand your search to include Swift products, particularly the waterproof 828 HHS Audubon, — but make sure it's the latest model.

Ed

For a "one bino" compact all-arounder, I believe the Katmai is significantly more compact than the Monarch.

I like the idea of having two binoculars over one. BUT, don't go cheap on your primary bino - you will use it mostly, and want the best possible/affordable.

The Bushnell 7 x 26 Custom is an excellent Binocular for about $250.00. It can be carried easily in a jacket pocket or a large bellows type shirt pocket. 16mm eye relief, 373' FOV,
3.7mm Exit Pupil, 7' close focus and it weighs 12 Oz. I have one, I used it today, I had to travel to another city and I left my Leica Trinovids at home.

Welcome to Bird Forum!
Bob

Luca said:
335 feet of field of view in a $325 8x32? I bet that he can do better than that.

Other than Bob's Custom Compact, what other candidates match the criteria for a single unit solution, including compactness?

Luca said:
335 feet of field of view in a $325 8x32? I bet that he can do better than that.

In that ONE regard, you're absolutely right -- couldn't agree more. But in ALL other physical parameters, I don't think he can do better. There's always compromise in any given choice, but with the Katmai you will not be sacrificing overall optical quality for the price paid. And I have come to wonder, at what cost in optical performance does a wider field of view mechanically necessitate?

I'd go with one pair of the best optics I could afford. Even travelling, I prefer a great view over a lighter load. To each their own though.

I've had my Bausch & Lomb Elites (10x42) for almost 10 years, and I've been told you can pick them up used for under $400 (mine were originally $1500 but you could always get them on the street for around $800). They've got great optics, are waterproof, and are small compared to most of the 7x or 8x bins. Even though a 10x has a smaller field of view than 7x or 8x, I'm far more interested in getting the closest, best image I can, not cover the most ground. But as Dave said, to each his own.

I use my bins primarily for bird watching but they also are my prime whale watching optics as well. I have only the one pair and they go with me everywhere.

Good luck with your shopping! :t:

Do you wear eye glasses or not when using binoculars?

jay

Macaoidh said:
Decision tree: Better to spend all my budget (approx $300) on one set of binos that would work for at home and travel for birding/nature watching, or get a real compact, waterproof set for travel, and a larger set of porros for home/neighborhood. 8x for each.

For example:

Monarch 8x36 / EO 8x32 / Leupold Katami - Approx $260-$320, tough to travel with (not pocketable at all, even a coat pocket) but great overall binos.

vs.

vs.

Nikon Prostaff 8x25 plus
Nikon action extreme 8x40 or other ~$200 porro/roof? And which one?

I've read and looked through so much lately, I'm just swimming with too much to consider. What's the better compromise, loss of optic quality with 2, or light, and perhaps optics quality with 1 smaller bino? I'd appreciate input from y'all. HELP ME SPEND MY MONEY! :^)

Best,
Christopher

Robert / Seattle said:
Compact, remember?

Sorry. I was being a bit gruff. We just had a big birding fest here in Chico. A dealer was there with all the brands and models. The Monarch 42's are just a tad bigger than the 36's --- and in my opinion -- just incredible, especially for the price. The "Binocular" branch of this forum is fun to read and very informative. It reminds me though (sometimes) of Stereo Equipment junkies....... Bright and sharp bino's like the 42's I think are always worth any bother brought on because of size. (I also wear glasses)

Chris D said:
Sorry. I was being a bit gruff. We just had a big birding fest here in Chico. A dealer was there with all the brands and models. The Monarch 42's are just a tad bigger than the 36's --- and in my opinion -- just incredible, especially for the price. The "Binocular" branch of this forum is fun to read and very informative. It reminds me though (sometimes) of Stereo Equipment junkies....... Bright and sharp bino's like the 42's I think are always worth any bother brought on because of size. (I also wear glasses)

No worries, Chris. I might shoot the computer anyway (and I'm sure there'd be no lack of opinions from forum members regarding what gun I should use).

Thank you all for you input. I know as with most things, if you ask many people their opinions on a controversial topic, you'll get many different answers; all appreciated!

The first thing I can gather, is no one really recommended the two binoc approach. Good. That helps narrow my thoughts considerably.

Regarding an all around glass, I did like the Katami I looked at. Any other experience with glass in that same size/price range? Once from scanning other posts that look interesting are the EO 8x32 (thanks for your opinion Tero), which I just found out a local store carries, so I'll be seeing soon. Also, the Pentax DCF SP 8x32 is available for $350, which is above my original price range, but not by much. I mention these two as they both advertise >390' FOV.

I wish I could see the little Bushnell custom compacts here in town, as they do look like a highly regarded option for what they are (true compacts).

Also the Minox BD 8x32 BL's fit that range. I liked the 8x42 BL Minoxs I saw, but they didn't have the 32s.

If I do just pick an 8x42 and put a bullet in my screen, I'll have a tough time deciding between the Nikons (seen them), the Minox BLs (seen them - very comperable to the Nikons to me), and the Swifts (wish I could see them).

Thanks for the laugh Chris D. There is much wisdom in what you say. I'm sure I'd be happy with any of the above, honestly, but I'm just a touch Type "A".

Best,
Christopher

Last edited:
Macaoidh said:

If I can be heard over the din of Nikon fans I'd like to share my experiences with the DCF MP http://www.pentax.co.jp/english/products/sougan/big/dcf-mp/. I've owned and used a pair of the DCF MP 8x28 as my main bin's for about two years, and I personally think they are pretty good bins. I'm not alone in thinking that as they have reviewed well, see for example http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/site/optics/under_500.aspx, where they were regarded as a best buy.

I haven't compared the with a huge number of bins, but after being told I'd see more birds with some bigger/better bins I asked to look through the persons bins to see what i was missing. They weren't anything special: some 8x42 Bushnell Natureview's that are being sold and recommended by the local birding club. What I saw I was missing out on was a slightly brighter image and larger FOV, but overall I still preferred the DCF MP's in terms of sharpness, build quality, weight, etc.

At very least they'd make an excellent pair of travel/take anywhere bin, and are very usable as an only pair.

The pentax's seem to be being sold by Eagle Optics and others for around $190US at the moment.

Last edited:
jaymoynihan said:
If you do not wear eye glasses (or try before you buy, with them):
Swift 8.5x44 audubon porros.
jay

Thanks Jay. Unfortunately, the Swift porros are too large for an "only" set. The $350 price tag puts it at/above the top of my range, and doesn't give me a good option when travelling. Optically, everyone seems to agree that those will be superior to anything else I'm considering - I won't argue that.

Best,
Christopher

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back