• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Roof bins: is it normal this when closing? (1 Viewer)

Glimmer

I tried a pair of new Minox HG 10x42 and other roof models. When I close them to adjust them to my eyes distance (width) the brightness increase. Moreover, if I close them totally the brightness is higher that the bins in the position fo completely wide.

Is it normal for roof bins? With my porro bins this does not happen...

This would be normal for most binoculars that when the dihedral angle is adjusted for your eyes you get the best, brightest view. But it has to do with eye relief and how carefully you need to place your eyes, not porro or roof.

Your binoculars will always be brightest when you have the exit pupil (That is the bright dot you see in the center of your ocular lenses when look at them while holding them away from your eyes) exactly centered over your pupils. You will have the same IPD in Roof Prism binoculars as you do in your Porro Prism binoculars.
Cordially,
Bob

Thank guys. But it's curious that the most brightest position of Minox HG is totally closed (and I don't have the eyes so near, be sure!) With Olympus DPS R I get it in a mid position...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back