• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Several to ID, NE Oklahoma USA (1 Viewer)

OK_Scissortail

Oklahoma State Bird
Here are a few birds I found today along with a new duck. Any help is appreciated. :)

1st photo- I think is a juvenile Bald Eagle..several adults around.
2nd photo- I am guessing as a common goldeneye?
3rd photo-warbler?
4th photo-a type of wren?
5th photo-egret, heron?

It was a good day for birding..saw 5 Bald Eagles, Pelicans, gulls, cormorants, a pileated woodpecker that my family saw for a split second and was gone before I could even take a photo of it..rats!! So hard to ever see and when we do..poof gone. I may see one in another year. :(

Attachments

• juvenilebaldeagle1-2-09.jpg
    juvenilebaldeagle1-2-09.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 95
  • duck1-2-09kerr.jpg
    duck1-2-09kerr.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 83
  • unidentifiedA1-2-09A.jpg
    unidentifiedA1-2-09A.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 95
  • unidentified1-2-09.jpg
    unidentified1-2-09.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 98
  • unidentifiedwaterbird1-2-09kerr.jpg
    unidentifiedwaterbird1-2-09kerr.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
I'll bite!
1. Agree.
2. Agree.
3. Yellow Rumped Warbler.
4. (Tough) House Wren? Maybe Winter, note stubby tail.
5. GB Heron.

Bob

Last edited:
I think the bill on the wren is too long and thick for it to be a Winter Wren. It looks like a House Wren to me.

Yes, the wren is odd. It's much too light with too long of a bill for winter wren, and most notably lacks the barring on the flank. It's also an unusually bold supercillium for house, but not sure what else it could be. Is Bewick's possible? (I'm not familiar with Bewick's)
Scott

Thanks everyone....Posting more photos of the wren....was found at lake by the Dam.

Attachments

• wrenA.jpg
    wrenA.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 50
  • wrenb.jpg
    wrenb.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 59
  • wrenc.jpg
    wrenc.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 55
Bewick's has a much longer and more defined supercillium than the wren in the photo (at least the ones around here do). The Sibley guide shows less barring on juvenile House Wren, but it also says those can be seen only from May to August. Perhaps it's a late-bloomer?

(That might explain why it's still in Oklahoma, anyway.)

Streaks on the breast, buffy at the end of the tail. Again it's not a bird I'm familiar with but I'm thinking rock wren. Also the supercillium and leg colour fits better.

Scott

I looked up Winter wren and the Bewicks's and so far I have come up with that the Bewick's wren does stay here year round. The Winter wren just winter's here and the House wren is supposed to be further south now but doesn't mean it isn't one. I know not much info and pretty much what you all already said, just backing it up. :)

Streaks on the breast, buffy at the end of the tail. Again it's not a bird I'm familiar with but I'm thinking rock wren. Also the supercillium and leg colour fits better.

Scott

The wren is a rock wren. Where in Oklahoma was this picture taken?
CHEERS, JOE G

The photo was taken at Fort Gibson lake at the Dam, North of Fort Gibson, OK. (NE OK area) It's a little out of it's area but maybe with the drought the panhandle had it moved to greener land in the east.

Thank you :)

Last edited:
The photo was taken at Fort Gibson lake at the Dam, North of Fort Gibson, OK. (NE OK area)

Thank you :)

Not often rock wrens make it that far east in Oklahoma, but the dam at Fort Gibson has been one of the localities. Also Skiatook, near Tulsa.
CHEERS, JOE G

Yes it looks like a Rock Wren. Has a streaked breast and there seems to be a terminal band on it's tail. Peterson says it it indigenous year round in Western Oklahoma.
Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back