• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser Sand Plover (1 Viewer)

Great photo, and the bird is easily Identified as a Lesser Sand Plover, as your photo clearly shows the feet extending beyond the tail in flight.

We actually have it as a Mongolian Plover AKA Lesser Sand Plover (Charadrius mongolus), I have put it in as another image.

Thanks for this, dont know if you want to edit the picture to include the scientific name.

It's funny that this has come around again. I was only looking at Clive's photo's this morning.

I am not convinced that this is Lesser sand. I think that it could be one of the smaller billed races of Greater sand. I notice the toes are projecting beyond the tail. All the lessers I have seen in Africa don't show any toe projection, but the GSP's do.....more ideas please.

I have mailed you Clive re the Greater Spotted Eagle?? with the Grey Heron.
John.

Another coincidence...Marmot and I posted at the same time!

What do others think about the Spotted Eagle on clives great site. Click on Greater-spotted Eagle and you will see a GSE???? with a Grey Heron....I have posted Clive with what I think it is...answers on a postcard..ONLY JOKING.

Post your replies here.

Hope you don't mind Clive.

John.

Not at all John, thanks for taking the trouble.

As for the LSP we can put it in obeyance until I get another shot.

I think this is a Lesser Sandplover, for the same reasons made in here:
http://www.netfugl.dk/pictures.php?id=showpicture&picture_id=2888&language=uk

The only problem is the leg projection, which seems to long for a Lesser, but the tail pattern, the widht of the wing bar in the hand, the bill, (columbinus gives a thinner-billed impression, although, in the subject bird, the head is slightly turned away from the observer) and the jizz of the bird.
JanJ

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back