• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (20 Viewers)

Okay but can you see that it was inappropriate weather for ringing storm petrels and more than likely none would have been caught anyway?

Well I think we are now speculating. I cannot say if it would have been successful or not. I do know if we stopped to consider whether a bird is likely to be seen given weather conditions, likelihood of flushing etc. hardly any birding trips would be made by any of us for scarce and rare.

In terms of things turning up and being seen, use the Tufted Puffin scale..............!?! Yes using the TP scale, I think a Stormie could have been lured in given the increased numbers in the North Sea at the moment. Certainly more likely than a TP so worth trying in my book.

The above isn't really the issue though - the issue is whether the ringing session in itself should have been cancelled, given that it was a session where the public had been invited. It shouldn't have been cancelled.

One final point, the late evening conditions were similar to those the night before at Spurn when four were caught.

Last edited:
At Fairburn this morn. Pickup hide had 1 GreenSand, 3 Com Sand, 2 Snipe. Spoon/flash had these 2 (?sandpipers.) from roadside, ID would be nice please.....:t:
I first thought they were Ruff but they looked different to each other. I know there are variations with Ruff but they were stood with Lapwing and were only about 2/3rds the size.
Cheers Joe
PS Excuse quality it's only a compact...:C

Are the Kingfishers still around Pick Up hide?

Help with skua!

Took this on saturday at tip of spurn.It came maurauding along tide line,scattering sanderling/dunlin as it went! It seemed big, but fast and agile too. I am reliably told its arctic.With the skua cruises coming,wondered if contributors might enlighten us,or me if i'm the only one that gets confused with these birds, as to why its arctic, not pom etc.

Thanks in advance

Paul

and ps; massive thanks to Andy Gibson,whom I met for first time at weekend.To say he was helpful is a massive understatement!Thanks Andy (from Wendy too!)

Attachments

• arcticskua1.jpg
    arcticskua1.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 156
  • arcticskua2.jpg
    arcticskua2.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 114
  • arcticskua3.jpg
    arcticskua3.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 140
  • arcticskua4.jpg
    arcticskua4.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 103
Hi
Me and my partner are staying near Skipton next week for a few days holiday
Could anyone recommend places to visit, hopefully with birdwatching, wildlife watching in mind

Thanks

Hi
Me and my partner are staying near Skipton next week for a few days holiday
Could anyone recommend places to visit, hopefully with birdwatching, wildlife watching in mind

Thanks
If you want to keep the travelling within reason try Bolton Abbey,eastwards on A59,good mixture of woodland and open moors (but beware of grouse shooting on 12th),Bowland is not far away,and anywhere up the Dales is good.Peregrine watch may still be at Malham.

I've never seen a skua but I'd think the tail would be the thing to look at, having said that does age/sex make a difference? The book I have says pom skua has spoon shaped tail feathers though I don't know how easy that is to see.

Tough call, but I'd go Arctic. Spoons will have abraded by this time of year on Poms adding to the difficulty. fwiw Arctics seem more athletic.

Poms are big, only seen one on a skua cruise years ago and it was a right beefy looking thing compared to the arctics that were seen on the same cruise.

no keith. it will be a single, but it will be longer and wider

the new hide at marshland will be a replica of the townend and singleton hides.. i think it would be a good idea if the put a bench on the back wall for the overflow of people.. i think i will try to have a word when the are putting it up next week

Totally agree, a bench on the back wall would be great.

the new hide at marshland will be a replica of the townend and singleton hides.. i think it would be a good idea if the put a bench on the back wall for the overflow of people.. i think i will try to have a word when the are putting it up next week

Always found Kingfishers tricky. They are usually flying downriver at a 100 miles an hour. Or they are sat on a perch posing for photos. Stupid me asked the question at Tophill. 'what are those sticks doing here?'

A few minutes later I was deafened by the sound of digital cameras firing off because the users haven't read the manual.

You can switch off that fake noise. Just do it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back