• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Save our Red Squirrels eat a Grey (1 Viewer)

Alternative slogans:

'A Grey a day keeps this pest at bay'

'Be well fed, save a Red'

(Combining the two directly:)

'To be well fed and save a Red, a Grey a day will keep this pest at bay'

Or

'Do a good deed, have a good feed, eat a Grey today and save the Red instead.'

Good idea ;)

Hi :hi: After reading this...I'm still laughing of your slogans to save the Red! We have grey and red here also, but our red's are very small...care to share on your reds there, size ? Have any photos? Thanks, ChickaD ;)

Hi :hi: After reading this...I'm still laughing of your slogans to save the Red! We have grey and red here also, but our red's are very small...care to share on your reds there, size ? Have any photos? Thanks, ChickaD ;)
Our Reds are also smaller than the Greys.We have a small population in North Wales but the main UK population is in Scotland and the North of England.This pic was taken in Scotland.

Attachments

• IMG_8506_copy.jpg
    IMG_8506_copy.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 99
Our Reds are also smaller than the Greys.We have a small population in North Wales but the main UK population is in Scotland and the North of England.This pic was taken in Scotland.

I wish to thank you also Mike for the reply on the Reds and photo;) Sorry it took me a while to get back here, but I was lost on BF, but tonight finding my way around :-O In the short time since I've joined, such a great bunch of people from around the world here, just love it, ChickaD :t:

hi Stewart

Yes I would love to sample a Grey Squirrel - al la morsel or two, or ten on a skewer stick. ;)

After seeing a Grey Squirrel munching through my peanuts for my birds grrr.. Nut Roast does come to mind as the protein they eat, must be the best for consumption purposes

Deep fried Squirrel may take off, and end up as tasty as deep fried Scampi yet.
On a bed of chips, of course with some Squirrel Sauce. Need to invent that yet? Any suggestions!

Yummy!!

Try the River Cottage Cook Book! seem to remember Hugh eating grey squirrel when he was doing that series involving a Landrover with a mobile kitchen and a boat affair on the roof.

I know I sounded heartless by stating Greys on the menu, but Red Squirrels and Greys in the USA do not have the same problems as here - just wondering ;) What do you thinK?

Reds here are dying in the UK everyday, because of the Pox disease that Greys carry. The Reds are our native species. Is that justified or not that Greys have a right to destroy our Reds?. I can see this leading to another verbal tet de tet.

Try the River Cottage Cook Book! seem to remember Hugh eating grey squirrel when he was doing that series involving a Landrover with a mobile kitchen and a boat affair on the roof.

I remember that one only too well. Huge will eat anything that moves. I worry about him at times :-O

;);) Yes, and the Greys are at his mercy anytime.

You are right Kathy - and I hear you. This is all damage control I suppose - I just have a soft spot for the little gray brats over here. I think you should try to protect those Reds!

I know I sounded heartless by stating Greys on the menu, but Red Squirrels and Greys in the USA do not have the same problems as here - just wondering ;) What do you thinK? ...

Actually, some of us in the US DO have the same problem. It's a very large country, and the so-called "Greys" of which you speak are, in fact, "Eastern" Greys. They were introduced to the western US and Canada, much to the detriment of the native Western Greys, now a highly endangered species.

EASTERN Grey fricassee, anyone?

Robert / Seattle

As a strict veggie,since 1955,eating a "grey",is horrid.Do wish we could do more to save our "Reds",but no way will eating a grey help!!!.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back