• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White-nose syndrome: Bats hit by killer disease (1 Viewer)

Quite shocking. I for one would relish the opportunity to one day see swarms of bats in the US leaving a roost; I hope folk involved can get to the bottom of this. Any developments, or too early to say?
Jim.

Jimbob, you can still see swarms in many places. As I said in a previous thread, hopefully there is a 'southern demarcation' of where WNS will occur due to heat/moisture issues (I'm not an expert, just hoping here). If you are interested, caves.org and batcon.org have a lot of info. People still visit north Alabama to see the bats swarm here, and there are still plenty of them.

http://new.bangordailynews.com/2011/05/24/outdoors/white-nose-syndrome-found-in-maine-bats/

White nose hits bats in Maine, USA. I didn't realize that it's a WW problem. It's spreading across the USA and Canada too. So sad and so potentially catastrophic.

What helpful and beneficial creatures these brown bats are.

They live under the roof of my garage here in Mass. USA. I see them each evening going to to eat.

Here is a photo of a still OK brown bat inside our cottage in Maine. We go there for a few weeks a year in the summer and it's OK that they live there too.

Attachments

• Maine July week 2 2010 07 23 20 18 03.jpg
    Maine July week 2 2010 07 23 20 18 03.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back