• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Kent - LSWoodpecker sites + local info (1 Viewer)

dbradnum

Hi everyone,

I'll be driving round from the Lea Valley (N. London) to north Kent either this weekend or next, primarily looking for raptors on Sheppey (Rough-leg, Merlin, Peregrine, SEO, harriers at Elmley, Harty Ferry etc. etc). If things go according to plan, then I should have time to visit some other sites as well, so I'm looking for some local info on woodland sites with a good chance of Lesser-spotted Woodpecker.

I believe I've read somewhere on here that the woods around Canterbury (e.g. Blean Woods) are a stronghold for the species, but couldn't find any details. Any info would be much appreciated - happy to receive PMs if that's more appropriate. If there are good sites for Lesser-spots nearer to Sheppey than Canterbury, then so much the better - let me know, please!

Any other recommended sites in the area for other species are also welcome, since my knowledge of birding in Kent doesn't go much beyond Sheppey, Cliffe and Dungeness!

Many thanks in advance,

David

Hi David,

I lived in Canterbury for a year in 96/97 (so maybe a bit out of date) but Lesser-spots were certainly quite easy in Blean Woods in late winter/ early spring. I used to see them sometimes in the woodland on the University of Kent campus, just north of Canterbury. This area was very good for Hawfinches too, which were much harder in Blean Woods.

OK, in the absence of any other info, can anybody give me some background on the RSPB reserve at Blean Woods, please? I do know where it is, but have never visited. Are any of the marked routes particularly productive (or particularly forgettable!)? Is all the woodland deciduous, or should I be concentrating on particular areas? And the original RFI still stands, if anyone else wants to add their thoughts on other sites!

There must be someone out there that knows more about Kent than I do...

Can't help with Kent, David but I had a (non-calling) lesser spot this morning in Wanstead Park, rather closer to your home. Three pairs bred there according to the latest (2003) Essex Bird Report.

Sean

Cheers, Sean - I heard about this site recently at a meeting of the East London Birders' Forum... It wasn't you, was it?

I'll give it a try in the few weeks (though local birding's a bit busy with Lee Valley Bird Fair, and RSPB Rainham open weekend!)

dogfish said:
Can't help with Kent, David but I had a (non-calling) lesser spot this morning in Wanstead Park, rather closer to your home. Three pairs bred there according to the latest (2003) Essex Bird Report.

Sean

dbradnum said:
Cheers, Sean - I heard about this site recently at a meeting of the East London Birders' Forum... It wasn't you, was it?

Wasn't me, no, I work most Tuesday evenings now, sadly. We have met though; barred warbler, Sewardstone, 1 Oct 2003. A memorable day.
Maybe see you at the Birdfair on Saturday.

Sean

The RSPB reserve in Blean can be excellent for lessers - go to the car park & head off on the path that runs off to the right. This soon takes you into vg habitat. Otherwise another good site is off the Ashford road on the outskirts of the city - Larkey Vally Woods. If you've not been alooking yet contact me privately & I'll give further details. John

Thanks for reminding me of Larkey Valley Wood John. I used to go there quite regularly and thought it was the most delightful wood around Canterbury. Another good site for Hawfinch, if I recall, and also has very impressive displays of wild flowers in spring.

Thanks to all who provided info, but especially Sean - Wanstead Park did the business in fine style early this morning. 2 males displaying, drumming, calling, chasing - magic! Certainly the best views I've ever had, and I've seen a few.

Will definitely go back ASAP with camera, since the birds spent most of the time at eye level, so good photos ought to be on the cards.

I'll also try to get over to Blean and Larkey Valley - both sound excellent.

David

Blean Woods are good for Lesser's. Another spot to consider would be Stodmarsh/Grove Ferry which isn't far away. I saw one there about three weeks back in the 'Nature Trail' area near the reserve car park.

If you're up in North Kent my local patches of Oare Marshes Reserve, and South Swale Reserve are both worth a visit. the Kent Ornithological Society pages have slightly out of date recent sightings on their website www.kentos.org.uk. I've seen Peregrine, Marsh & Hen Harriers at both sites (keep missing the reported Merlin's). There was a good flock of Snow Buntings on SSR a few weeks back that might still be about.

Regards Richard

Andrew Whitehouse said:
Thanks for reminding me of Larkey Valley Wood John. I used to go there quite regularly and thought it was the most delightful wood around Canterbury. Another good site for Hawfinch, if I recall, and also has very impressive displays of wild flowers in spring.

A word of warning about Larkeyvalley - it's not the safest place in the world to park and leave your car. Far better to sling it on the verge of the new piece of road between Chartham and Canterbury and walk the few hundred yards back to the woods, rather than leave it in a secluded car park that seems to be regularly "checked" by every ned in Canterbury.

Also, Hawfinches - this site is by no means reliable for them any more, and hasn't been since the late 90's.

Lesser Spot is easiest on the bottom path that bisects the wood, running parallel to the lane.

Raptors in Kent

dbradnum said:
Hi everyone,

I'll be driving round from the Lea Valley (N. London) to north Kent either this weekend or next, primarily looking for raptors on Sheppey (Rough-leg, Merlin, Peregrine, SEO, harriers at Elmley, Harty Ferry etc. etc). If things go according to plan, then I should have time to visit some other sites as well, so I'm looking for some local info on woodland sites with a good chance of Lesser-spotted Woodpecker.

I believe I've read somewhere on here that the woods around Canterbury (e.g. Blean Woods) are a stronghold for the species, but couldn't find any details. Any info would be much appreciated - happy to receive PMs if that's more appropriate. If there are good sites for Lesser-spots nearer to Sheppey than Canterbury, then so much the better - let me know, please!

Any other recommended sites in the area for other species are also welcome, since my knowledge of birding in Kent doesn't go much beyond Sheppey, Cliffe and Dungeness!

Many thanks in advance,

David

Hi David. See my post on the raptors board.

Pat

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back