• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (3 Viewers)

Squidge - Cheers ! Where did you go exactly and about what time ?

On another note - Should I still have my nut feeder out and fat balls ? is there any danger to the newly hatched receiving any

Hi mr Hornblower, I went to the right of the bank about 300mtrs just past the fence that juts out towards the sea. I was there at around 10.30am. As regards your feeders I'm no expert but personally I'm using up the last of my fatballs and when these are finished I'll give the fatballs a break till probably the Autumn. I will still put out the nuts but only in the feeders as the birds have to break the nut to get at them thus no risk of whole nuts been given to chicks. I also put out sunflower hearts, nyger seed and no mess seed mix although I've reduced the amount I put out the last week as it seems to be taking longer for the feeders to empty. This is probably due to the birds going for live food for their young. Although the sunflower hearts seem to go quicker than anything else. Thanks Ger.

Preventing birds attacking their own reflection

I have a male chaffinch that is regularly attacking it's own reflection in a window at the back of my house. He's been at it now for 3 days and even when I stand at the window he continues doing so (the reflection is very strong). This in itself is not unusual (I have seen tits attack car side mirrors before) but I am concerned that this bird will do itself an injury or exhaust itself!
Apart from removing the window :eek!:, has anyone any solutions to putting the bird off?

Get a decoy hawk from the Gun shop in town?

A mate of mine has Grey crows attacking his kitchen windows for the second year running now they make a hell of a racket !

I have a male chaffinch that is regularly attacking it's own reflection in a window at the back of my house. He's been at it now for 3 days and even when I stand at the window he continues doing so (the reflection is very strong). This in itself is not unusual (I have seen tits attack car side mirrors before) but I am concerned that this bird will do itself an injury or exhaust itself!
Apart from removing the window :eek!:, has anyone any solutions to putting the bird off?

Get a moggy and stick it on the window sill. ;) :-O

Si.

Cranked up on sex hormones, he is convinced that there is a male interloper in his territory. A few years ago I had a robin who did this for weeks. Once female started incubating eggs, the behavior stopped, presumably because he started tending incubating female, confident that he had beaten off the interloper and the incubating eggs were indeed his! I'd say he'll stop fairly soon - male robins assiduously feed incubating females - not sure about chaffinches though?

Last edited:
Cranked up on sex hormones, he is convinced that there is a male interloper in his territory.
Strange thing is, there are still 3 male chaffinches in the garden!
I posted the same query elsewhere on the net and someone suggested a sheet of cling film crumpled up a bit to break the reflection. I actually have a roll of material very similar to cling film, that was used by the workers building my house to protect the glass, so I'll give that a go.

Last edited:
Birds are thin on the ground alright - a single white wag on the beach this morning, being harassed by the local pieds - also 400 restless golden plover....

Strange thing is, there are still 3 male chaffinches in the garden!
I posted the same query elsewhere on the net and someone suggested a sheet of cling film crumpled up a bit to break the reflection. I actually have a roll of material very similar to cling film, that was used by the workers building my house to protect the glass, so I'll give that a go.

Yeah, I´d say that´ll work. I did it last year with a big sheet of bubble-wrap from binoculars or scope or something I´d bought. Just taped it onto the window with duct-tape. I reckoned if the bird kept on banging his stupid head off the window, at least the bubble-wrap would stop him hurting himself.......

My car was attacked by a Pied Wagtail at Templetown beach a few days ago, I chased him off an he came back again :) Them Cooley wagtails are tough.....

On an off topic note since i'm now not flying to Lanzarote and for anyone else interested here is a map of the ash cloud and any Irish flights will also show live http://www.ei7dar.com/aircraftlive.html

My car was attacked by a Pied Wagtail at Templetown beach a few days ago, I chased him off an he came back again :) Them Cooley wagtails are tough.....

On an off topic note since i'm now not flying to Lanzarote and for anyone else interested here is a map of the ash cloud and any Irish flights will also show live http://www.ei7dar.com/aircraftlive.html

Hi Gareth
Sorry to hear your flight was cancelled again :C - I know from elsewhere on the web (fdb) that it was also cancelled mid week.
Just to say that Gareth's excellent site above can be very slow due to the massive demand placed on it at the moment (15,000 hits I believe), so keep trying. If you ever wanted to know where an aircraft flying overhead was going, head to this website. One to add to your web favorites!

Last edited:
Watched a pair of gannets fishing off Clogherhead today. Thats a first for me.There were also a couple of divers who were too far away to id.
P.s. The Gannets werent using rods either.

Last edited:
Treecreeper, Reed Bunting and Buzzard pics taken this morning.

Attachments

• 080.jpg
    080.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 059.jpg
    059.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 65
Was in that area yesterday Gerry but hardly saw any migrants. There was impressive numbers of red throated divers off Dunany Point though. Counted at least 50 with some in summer plumage.

Si.

On saturday a pair of gannets, then on sunday five white wagtails, sandmartins and a wheatear along the shore. Pair of shelduck copulating also - fairly spectacular!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back