• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Image quality (1 Viewer)

Geoff Pain

Rural Member
I have a Canon EF400mm F5.6L USM lens.A bit ago my camera and lens fell on the floor out of my bag at a height of about 1.5 foot.Compared to other pictures of people using the same lens mine do not seem as sharp and wonder if the drop has knocked something out a bit.Below is a test shot taken with the lens mounted on a tripod,using a Canon 450D.The settings were ISO 400,shutter speed 1/1600 @ 5.6f.What do you think is something amiss or is it me?

Attachments

• IMG_0308.jpg
    IMG_0308.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 208
Must admit Geoff that everything looks spot on in the test photo. Plenty of detail there.

Mines been knocked and dropped a few times now and it's still working fine.

Looks spot-on to me Geoff. When comparing other peoples shots there are a lot of things that can influence the picture quality/sharpness apart from the lens itself. And remember that most people only post their better shots so you do not see some of the inevitable cr#p shots that everyone takes.

also at websize many after resizing a shot will use sharpen the shot again - since resizing will reduce sharpness to a degree - of course on a smaller photo a higher degree of sharpness is possible.
I have many shots which fullsize are soft - but scaled down can be made acceptably sharp for the web

There doesn't appear to be anything that's actually a pure white in picture.

The whole background looks a bit grey.
Don't think this would be to do with the sharpness of the lens John - if there is supposed to be white in the pic then this is down to the white balance and could easily be corrected in P&P (esp. if shot in raw)

Don't think this would be to do with the sharpness of the lens John - if there is supposed to be white in the pic then this is down to the white balance and could easily be corrected in P&P (esp. if shot in raw)

No, but my thinking was that a purer white would provide more contrast and make the pic look a bit sharper.

Last edited:
No, but my thinking was that a purer white would provide more contrast and maybe the pic would look sharper.
Could be John but I suspect that the target is 18% Grey which makes correct exposure easier (could well be wrong - I usually am o:D ) as stated earlier the sharpness looks fine to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back