• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pigeon cere - London UK (1 Viewer)

Hi Chris,
I've seen this thread only now.

Maybe the answer I would give exists already, because I didn't understand all...

How you replied, it could be a mysterie of the Nature.
If the genetics belong to these mysteries I don't know.
But I think, it could be a mutation. But I could err.

Compliment to you, that you cares for the Pigeons!

Hi Anna,

I like all wildlife, but I have a soft spot for Pigeons. I've said elsewhere that they are very intelligent Birds. They also seem to suffer more than most birds. Many have only one leg, or deformed or missing feet. Mostly it's because they get caught up in discarded string that we leave lying around.

So I feel sorry for Pigeons, but I'm sure that they don't seem sorry for themselves.|=)|

As a someone who used to keep pigeons (for racing) I can tell you it happens occasionally when birds are sick. Grey ceres indicate upper respitory (and possibly other) diseases. The eye and back of the neck on this bird seem to confirm that all's far from well.

Damn, he's a particular favourite of mine.

He's eating normally, but he may be a bit hyperactive. His behaviour hasn't changed (I know that they hide illness/weakness for as long as they can, as they get pecked to bits otherwise), if he doesn't get fed he flies against the window. He just sort of taps the glass with his feet, he's done it for years.

He's a bit of a character, probably the most intelligent of all the Pigeons that visit. Like I said, he's been around for at least 3 years, and he wasn't a juvenile when I first saw him; maybe he's quite old now.

Oh well, nothing lasts forever, he's had a good life for a Feral Pigeon, mated many times over the years, never gone hungry or thirsty.

If you are right, I'll keep my eye on him and I'll make sure he doesn't suffer. Thanks for letting me know that it could be an illness.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back