• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kenyan hornbill (1 Viewer)

Andrew S

Kentish Mother
I took this photo about ten years ago (September) in Kenya. I think it was near Lake Baringo, but may just have been near the coast.

Looking through my guide I can't quite make my mind up about it - my first choice would be Jackson's, but I wouldn't rule out Red-billed.

Any views?

Andrew

Attachments

• Hornbill.jpg
    Hornbill.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Checking in HBW, I'd agree with Jackson's (which they treat as a race of Von der Decken's) - the bill is probably too stout, and the face too black, for Red.

Michael

Thanks Michael

By the way, what is HBW? I was using the new(ish) Stevenson/Fanshawe East Africa book, which is a delight after the Collins guide I took to Kenya. Lot heavier though...

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Handbook of the Birds of the World (Lynx Edicions, Barcelona)
http://www.hbw.com

Must admit, they're a bit mis-named, 'Forklifttruckbook of the Birds of the World' would be nearer the mark, but they're VERY good ;)

Michael

Last edited:
Trawling a bit further through my Kenyan slides I've come across these two. These were at Tsavo, and I think these are the Red-billed.

Pretty rough shots though.

Attachments

• Hornbill2.jpg
    Hornbill2.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 194
  • Hornbill3.jpg
    Hornbill3.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 191
Andrew,

Be careful as there is another split in the offings for T. erythrorhynchus. Think that they want to split it into five species.

Andrew: First shot is Jackson's, the chunky bill with cream/yellow tip coupled with the white-spotted back is a really good id feature for this bird. The other 2 Tsavo shots are Red-billed ........

Steve: 5 species!!!! Blimey .....

helenh said:
Andrew: First shot is Jackson's, the chunky bill with cream/yellow tip coupled with the white-spotted back is a really good id feature for this bird. The other 2 Tsavo shots are Red-billed ........

Steve: 5 species!!!! Blimey .....

Hi Helen,

I think I saw some pics somewhere in the Percy Fitz pages. They may even be in the new Subsaharan Birds of Africa put out by Peter Ryan, et alia., though I haven't yet perused this book I think that Pete Ryan is one of those proposing these splits if I am not mistaken.

cuckooroller said:
Hi Helen,

I think I saw some pics somewhere in the Percy Fitz pages. They may even be in the new Subsaharan Birds of Africa put out by Peter Ryan, et alia., though I haven't yet perused this book I think that Pete Ryan is one of those proposing these splits if I am not mistaken.

Thanks Steve. I'll have to look up the references.

Helen

cuckooroller said:
Here I am back again Helen. It wasn't the Percy Fitz pages and I can't recall where I heard about Pete Ryan's involvement though I know I heard it somewhere. Do you remember when I asked you about T. pallidirostris, well, I made the connection between you , pallidirostris, and this page here.

http://www.up.ac.za/academic/genetics/staff/Bloomer/Research/Projects/redbilled_hornbills.html

Thanks for that. Very interesting indeed (must look at some of my Samburu photos again!).

Helen

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back