• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

LBJ found in the woods today! (1 Viewer)

IanF

Five of these around today at Low Barns Reserve in County Durham. Skulking amongst the piles of dead wood close to the riverside. Never heard singing.

I had it down as a Garden Warbler at the time as they were around but on viewing the photo the bill is wrong. The back was the same milk chocolate brown as the head with no markings. Bill and legs were dark but had a pink/brown tinge.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_8660bo.JPG
    IMG_8660bo.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 349
Jurij Hanžel said:
Sylvia boring it is!

Nothing boring about its song!

A very good photo of a hard-to-see bird. They are not too common in these parts either, but it is very satisfying to catch sight of one after hearing it singing from the depths of a bush. One plumage feature that sometimes stands out quite clearly on these birds is a greyish patch on the side/back of the neck.

Ian, it is interesting that you saw it close to a riverside. Up here they seem to be very strongly associated with riparian habitat, particularly woodland with a dense understorey of bird cherry (Prunus padus)

Last edited:
They're rarer than rocking horse poo where I live - it's a bird I've never had on my local patch.

Mind you, it's such a crappy patch that blackcap is a big deal for me...

Nice one Ian,

They're not too common around these parts, but I have seen/heard 4 or 5 over the last week or so at various sites.

I am quite envious of the photo though - I know from experience how tricky they are to get a decent pic of.... in fact there's a big space in my photo collection where Garden Warbler is supposed to be (and hopefully one day WILL be!!)

Ruby

A full frame view of one of the others we saw. The lighting was pretty dire by then.

Attachments

• IMG_9033bo.JPG
    IMG_9033bo.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 179
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back