• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arthur's Stone (1 Viewer)

halftwo

Wird Batcher
The Black Mountains across the Golden Valley a distant dark hump : a whale's back. Midday and the September sun struggling to heat the land. From Arthur's Stone - an ancient burial site on the ridge the views are long and stunning.
And this late on the thermals just begin - invisible in the glass-clear air. Buzzards start to rise and ride, turning slowly on glinting wings in the pale blue.
First a single Raven powers up to tackle the Buzzards - followed by three more. Their cronks drop like autumn apples down to the hill.
From the south a sudden Hobby is cruising along the ridge, at half speed, looking rather than hunting, purposeful and beautiful, humbug striped and dark hooded. Now it turns East and follows the contour of the stubble field below, Swallows watching from the safety of their height above.
The falcon disappears for a minute then is back over the trees nearby, finds a thermal and begins to make for the sky. It drifts up and away then turns - finding a Red Kite in the vast spaces above the hills and valleys.
Kite and falcon circle together lazily for a time as time slows and the day warms. Gradually they melt into the distance and the sky is left to the Buzzards which break from feeding mewing young to display.
Autumn colours tinge the first of the trees that have seen the early mists and despite the sun the season has ended.

I love the Black Mountains, such a beautiful area. I don't know the bit you were at though H2, but a little further south round the Abergavenny area.

Can you guess where I'll be exploring next time I visit my brother LOL.

Another beautiful post - many thanks lad.

Another lovely word painting, H. I wondered if you were referring to Arthur's Stone in Gower, to start with. I enjoyed this - and your Merlin description - very much.

Thanks, Kits.

I've been watching hirundines today and wondering if they'll be the last of the year.
It took all morning for the fog to clear and the sun to put in an appearance.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back