• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beef Steak Fungus (1 Viewer)

halftwo

Wird Batcher
From here the path curves upwards between lichen green walls which shelter bilberry and blackberries and the willow herbs' gossamer seeds roll in the lee and swarm in the sunshine.
The low sun squeezes between the spindly trunks of young ash and stripes the meadow. Stocky dog-headed rams munch the lush grass and stare across at fattened yews out of their reach.
Above sun-warmed water the last of the Common Darters hunt drowsy insects in cool air.
By the woodland brook bracket fungi sprout from rotting birches: thick juicy steaks jutting horizontally.
Across, against the ridge, the Crows have found two foes: young Sparrowhawks are harried until they plummet to cover.
Here, on the nearest wall Rooks are preening purple-sheened primaries: umbrellas out for drying.
A Rowen copse holds a tit flock and small calls fizz from the leaves. A Goldcrest and the season's last Chiffchaff flit amidst the berries. A crescendo of sound orchestrated by a Kestrel's flight erupts from the trees like a firework. The Kestrel glides to a further perch, blunt-headed and spikey ended and just wonderful in the setting sun.
A Brown Hare hunches, rounded in the grass like an abandoned hat.
And now the curve of the path comes full circle to end the day.

willow herbs' gossamer seeds ... thick juicy steaks jutting horizontally ... umbrellas out for drying ...
like an abandoned hat

Such wonderful descriptions, H.

LOL, H. I have to admit that after reading the title, I didn't picture the beautifully vivid scene you painted with your words. I was wondering what horrible epicurean novelty was in the spotlight now. Besides birding and snorkeling, cooking and eating are things I love to do. I admit that in my younger years I was sucked into some culinary snobbery and went on several outings for ridiculous ingredients. The first thing that came to mind when I read your title was a rib-eye tossed in a shady corner of the patio, barely recognizable under a cover of a peculiar form of mushrooms.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back