• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 200-400 f/4L announced (1 Viewer)

This lens gets more interesting as time goes on, all I need to know now is size,weight and COST. One assumes the quality will be good. Tony.

Like Nikons version I expect this lens to be approaching the size and weight of a 500/4. The main advantage is reach, 560 f5.6 with the converter over 400 f5.6. I have both a 300/4 and a 500/4. To my eyes they are both about the same optically, even with teleconverters, but it's worth lugging the 500 around purely because of it's reach. Every time I don't I regret it.

With frame fillers and fieldcraft, that's right to an extent, but in my opinion it's also very important where you actually are. For example in the birdguides POTY, they had a survey, and most of the notable and POTW where taken in either Norfolk, Suffolk, Linconshire, or Lancashire. I remember when I once visited Salthouse in Norfolk, you could walk right up to Dunlin, Snow Buntings, Teal, and Little Grebes, but this is not the case where I usually go. In the London area, Teal, Shovelers and Little Grebes are very shy and difficult.

My local reserves are Stockers Lake and Staines reservoir around the London area, and I would say for both that reach is king.

Somebody with time on their hands has pulled together this montage of the 400mm f/2.8, the new 200-400mm and the 300mm f/2.8 and has done a good job of accurately resizing them to indicate the size of the 200-400mm.

It's a big 'un, alright..!

Attachments

• 200-400.jpg
    200-400.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 1,725
Shouldn't have done that Keith. You'll give people a severe case of lens lust just looking at these three!

Somebody with time on their hands has pulled together this montage...

Perhaps they ought to have chosen the more directly comparable 400mm F4 lens as well (though it's very close to the 300mm in size).

I'm sure the zoom facilities will be welcome for those working close in from hides, but I can't help thinking that, for many people, the 400mm + 1.4x will be used much more often than the other 200-399mm! In which case I wonder how big/weighty/expensive a 500mm F5.6 would be...

Wow, that is quite large - thanks for posting.
Mind you the Nikon 200-400mm is no small toy either.
Am curious as to what the optics will be like.

Given it's one of Canon's L grade 'super' teles I think you can rest assured it'll be superb in the IQ department. Just remains to be seen how successful this TC idea is and if it has the feared impact on price and weight that we are suspecting.

Given it's one of Canon's L grade 'super' teles I think you can rest assured it'll be superb in the IQ department.
I'd surely expect so, but it might be subject to that "if you get a good one" oddness that besets some lenses like the 100-400mm - or the 400mm f/4 DO, which is even more prone to polarising opinion than the little zoom.

Actually, I wonder if the release of this lens might see some 400mm DOs hitting the used market? Although I like the idea of zoom lenses very much, I've always really liked the DO myself, and I've already got a very good 100-400mm.

I'd surely expect so, but it might be subject to that "if you get a good one" oddness that besets some lenses like the 100-400mm - or the 400mm f/4 DO, which is even more prone to polarising opinion than the little zoom.

Yep. Those are the thoughts I had too. This lens is probably going to have a lot of glass in it and all it takes is one to be sub par.

I can see this being very much a sports photographers lens with one flick of a switch to get extra reach at the other end of a pitch, may footy or cricket say.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back