• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New IS range imminent? (Not 10x42LIS) (1 Viewer)

The Canon IS 15x50 are for me the most useful. The 8x panning was lousy, the 10x30 and 12x36 are each charming in their own way but I could get reasonably steady views and better images with a good 8x-ish bino like SV or SE. The 18x50 I tried in a store had a slightly narrower FOV. The revered 10x42L, although the image is awesome, doesn´t provide a good trade-off between greater bulk and better mag, so I´m left with the 15x50, which although bulky, isn´t as "brick-like" as the 10x42, and gives a mag high enough to leave a scope/tripod at home on many trips, especially hiking long distances, when I take along a compact 8x20 and the IS 15x50.

Thanks, that sums it up nicely!
I've thought of a compact 8x or 10x for scanning complemented by the 18x50's for better detail, but the truth is, I just lug the Canons around and let them do all the work. Hanging on the SunSniper strap they make you almost forget they're there ( Well, that's not exactly true, it takes some getting used to, because they have a tendency to orbit your body when you move too actively, but in normal walking pace they stay put on the hip.)

This afternoon I noticed a bit of 'rolling ball' when scanning. Never noticed that before. Due to the field flatteners, I guess.
The depth of field in the 18x's is quite small. How is that in the 15x's?
The field of view is satisfactory for me, I have handled bins for over 4 decades now, so I can point, target and trigger real fast. The depth of field is more of an issue, but it is imminent in 18x bins.

Still, thinking of what might be cooking in the Canon brewery, I can't get a 10x30 L IS out of my head. I would buy one as my next IS.

Best regards,

Ronald

:-O No, our local FF candidate is even uglier.

I thought your previous avatar was a pic of a shallow grave in your back garden, until I realised it was a painting 'The Raft of the Medusa' by Géricault. This new one will keep me occupied a while, I'm sure.

Best regards,

Ronald

Can anyone shed light on the IS II designation. The only model sporting the II suffix is the 12x.

Would it be too optimistic to assume that the 8x and 10x would be rev'd to an II release soon?

cheers
JohnG

Can anyone shed light on the IS II designation. The only model sporting the II suffix is the 12x.

Would it be too optimistic to assume that the 8x and 10x would be rev'd to an II release soon?

cheers
JohnG

Hi John,

The 12x36 IS II is an upgraded version of an earlier version 12x36, pic here:

http://www.tvwg.nl/testrapporten/kijkers/stabilisatiekijkers.htm

The old one weighed 1000 grams, had better FOV ( 100m/1000m) and better close focus ( 3,3 m).

Best regards,

Ronald

There was an earlier 12x36 but not an earlier 10x30 and 8x25. The 12x36 II is clearly in the same design style as the current (Mark 1) 10x30 and 8x25. Only slightly confusing.

Hah, we posted at the same time:

The old one weighed 1000 grams, had better FOV ( 100m/1000m) and better close focus ( 3,3 m).

And a roof prism erector so the view wasn't as good ... now if we could get a weather resistant ED glasse porro 2 IS bin with those specs I'd be happy.

Last edited:
There was an earlier 12x36 but not an earlier 10x30 and 8x25. The 12x36 II is clearly in the same design style as the current (Mark 1) 10x30 and 8x25. Only slightly confusing.

Hah, we posted at the same time:

And a roof prism erector so the view wasn't as good ... now if we could get a weather resistant ED glasse porro 2 IS bin with those specs I'd be happy.

Hey Kevin,

Well, you've said it even better than I did.
For the whole picture, of Mark I and Mark II:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-12x36-Stabilization-Binoculars-Batteries/dp/B00004THDD

BTW, I just checked the Canon Netherlands website, and the 12x36 II is no longer in the model line up. Only 5 current models are being mentioned.

Best regards,

Ronald

Given how prolific Canon is for new camera models, one might have hoped for a more speedy product renewal in their binocular line.
I just hope they are not retreating gradually from this market.

Given how prolific Canon is for new camera models, one might have hoped for a more speedy product renewal in their binocular line.
I just hope they are not retreating gradually from this market.

I hope there isn't a retreat also.................. just ordered the 10x. :t:

I hope there isn't a retreat also.................. just ordered the 10x. :t:

So I received the 10x Canon binos today. The IS works as good as I could have hoped. I can even pan around with them and the image appears stable during the pan. No obvious hunting during the pan. The IQ is only "decent" and thankfully somewhat enhanced by the IS. Given how small and light these are the modest IQ is an acceptable compromise.

That said, I do have an issue that perhaps some Canon experts could help with. For me, the non adjustable eyecups (rolling them over is not a real solution) are are real PITA. It would appear that I'll either have to jam these bad boys into my eyes or cut down the eyecups. Has anyone else done such a dastardly thing................... cutting down the eyecups, that is? :eek!:

thanks
JohnG

So I received the 10x Canon binos today. The IS works as good as I could have hoped. I can even pan around with them and the image appears stable during the pan. No obvious hunting during the pan. The IQ is only "decent" and thankfully somewhat enhanced by the IS. Given how small and light these are the modest IQ is an acceptable compromise.

That said, I do have an issue that perhaps some Canon experts could help with. For me, the non adjustable eyecups (rolling them over is not a real solution) are are real PITA. It would appear that I'll either have to jam these bad boys into my eyes or cut down the eyecups. Has anyone else done such a dastardly thing................... cutting down the eyecups, that is? :eek!:

thanks
JohnG

Yeah, John, I did. On my 18x50's that is. I wear specs and cutting off the eyecups gave me a slightly better FOV, which is important in this high mag.

On the 10x30's I didn't anticipate a similar advantage, because they roll away completely and don't affect my FOV with them, whereas the rim of the eyecups rolled down in the 18x's are sticking up a bit.

Mind you, if you cut off the eyecups and get second thoughts, there are no replacements! So you'll have to come up with a DIY solution, then. A piece of bicycle inner tube will provide a good eyecup: you'll need about 2 inches, put it around the ocular tube as far as possible, then roll down the other end over the first. This will give a nice, two-layered eyecup with a rounded rim.

Or you could remove from an old pair of bins with twist-up eyecups the rubber ring part, which is glued onto the twist-up cup, and you'll have two rubber cups which you can fit around the ocular tubes of the Canon.
If it's not a tight fit, you can apply a ring of inner tube rubber first before you put on the rubber eyecup. Eyerelief can be adjusted by positioning the rubber eyecup up or down, until you've reached a satisfying position for your eyes. If the fit is reasonably tight, they will stay in the desired position.

Best regards,

Ronald

Yeah, John, I did. On my 18x50's that is. I wear specs and cutting off the eyecups gave me a slightly better FOV, which is important in this high mag.

snip...................
Best regards,

Ronald

Thanks for the suggestions Ronald. If I keep these binos (???) I'll probably have to trim the eyecups ~2-3 mm. Seems a real shame that these neat little binos don't have adjustable eyecups.

regards
JohnG

Or you could check with Canon to buy a couple of replacement rubber eye guards (they're a piece which wears out on other bins e.g. Nikon SE and E2) and then confidently hack at the ones on the bin knowing you can swap them if you sell the bin.

Hmm....

Checked om the website of the store where I bought my 10x30's and 18x50's; of six current models only the 8x25's are in stock.
Another store stocked them all ( maybe old stock).
Yet another store had the 8x25's and 15x50's in stock, the 18x50's on order.

Quite an exciting message; I'll stall my expected purchases and await further developments.

In comes the 12x50 L IS with lightweight magnesium body! (I wish...).
Or .... what else?!

Best regards,

Ronald

A 10x42 IS L that compensates for shakes as well as the 10x30 IS, weighs 28 oz., isn't shaped like a Brownie camera, and has an honest 4mm exit pupil.

http://www.petercrowellphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/browniehawkeye.jpg

Brock

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back