• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice please! (1 Viewer)

pattik

Hi all, would really appreciate some expert advice... Retirement looms, and I would love to take up digiscoping as a hobby. At present I have a Celestron 80-45 scope, and Leica ultravid 12x50 binoculars. I would like to trade in the binoculars and scope for a really good scope (I have about £1,500 to add to the pot) together with camera, tripod etc. I do not have a DSLR, just a Panasonic Lumix TZ10, which hasn't quite recovered from me dropping it on a stone floor and could do with replacing (I'm not usually that careless by the way). I've been looking at reviews of the Swarovski ATX scopes, but not sure if that would be beyond my budget... not sure what I will get for the binoculars (these are in mint condition, by the way!) Thanks, Pattik

I use a pentax spotting scope, with a astro eyepiece, which is very good, also i use a nikon
V1, the prices on these cameras now, are very good..you don' t need to spend that much money....mark

Thanks Mark - I should probably have added that my main use of the scope will be for seawatching... we live overlooking the sea and I get frustrated as my binos don't have the magnification that I need while the Celestron scope just doesn't have the clarity. I've saved up the money and want to get the best I can get - and thought that I'd try digiscoping even though I'm by no means an experienced photographer. Weight isn't really an issue... so just wondered what the best choice might be. I guess it's just a matter of personal taste, but thought I'd ask the experts! Pattik.

If you are still interested in binoviewing (as opposed to digiscoping per se) you might think about a larger set of binoculars and/or an astroscope with binoviewers. The latter would give you more flexibility but at the expense of weight and/or fiddly-ness.

larger bino's:
http://www.bigbinoculars.com/2080t.htm

small-ish astro scope:
https://www.astronomics.com/astro-tech-at72ed-72mm-refractor-telescope-green-black_p18364.aspx

For what it is worth, though, I'm likely to go the Pentax spotting scope route as Mark noted above. In my case I'd pair it with an RX100 that I have for digiscoping.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back