• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is the FL old hat? (1 Viewer)

May I second that (what David says).

I would suggest, diffidently as a newcomer: General acceptance that many parameters - angular distortion, pincushion d., centre-field priority, c.a., spectrum enhancements, etc. - are each

intolerable or ignorable, depending on the individual

should be a good thing!

Henry,
That is a great explanation of the distortions in optics.

But something still bothers me. If I pan a binocular to follow a bird zipping among the reeds, reeds at the edge will appear to either bend or recede into the distance, depending on my choice of binocular. But if I follow the bird with naked eyes, I don't notice anything strange at all.

What is the fundamental difference there?
Ron

May I second that (what David says).

I would suggest, diffidently as a newcomer: General acceptance that many parameters - angular distortion, pincushion d., centre-field priority, c.a., spectrum enhancements, etc. - are each

should be a good thing!

I'll third that (for now, I do have one perplexing question), and agree that general acceptance of many hairstyles - pompadour, ducktail, crewcut, Beatles mop-top, the grunge, and last but certainly not least, the sweep over - is a good thing. Okay, well, I might have gone too far with the sweep over.

The 5th Rutle

I'll third that (for now, I do have one perplexing question), and agree that general acceptance of many hairstyles - pompadour, ducktail, crewcut, Beatles mop-top, the grunge, and last but certainly not least, the sweep over - is a good thing. Okay, well, I might have gone too far with the sweep over.

The 5th Rutle

You left out the skinhead.

Leggy Mountbatten

Great explanation Henry. Can I save and print that?

Brock I thought I was on Cloudy Nights, your post #103 looks like something Kenny would post.

Last edited:
.... I am not convinced that the aging FL isn't still right there with the newer models ....
from ..... http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2730055&postcount=1539
..... I was doing bird surveys the past two days, swapping between the 8 HT and the 10x42 FL and it is more apparent than ever just how superior the HT is, in every regard. After using the HT for a few hours, holding the FL up to my eyes presents dullness and disappointment. Not that the FL 's have fallen that far, just the HT has moved the bar a long way up.

SHAZZAM !! :eek!:

Chosun :gh:

I also find that the Zeiss has too high distortion. You'd be better off getting a Leica; just don't expect it to be waterproof.

In Henry Link's now famous "suction cup photographic distortion test" of 8ishx42s, he found the Leica to have a tad more pincushion than strictly necessary to eliminate rolling ball, while the FL was just right. But the two are so close I can't tell the difference. Sometimes it seems that Leica has a larger sweet spot, but under close examination that never holds up.

IMHO, what Leica mainly has that Zeiss doesn't is a notably contrasted look and a deeply hued color presentation. Leica's lower transmission probably has something to do with that, but I think it's beautiful view nevertheless.
Ron

Ron, a couple of months ago I wrote in some thread in BF: "I've long suspected Leica have some very effective optics solutions they keep secret", and received a PM: "... you have a point. [I had a chance to] talk with one of Leica's optic engineers and he told me that they [don't go for] the highest transmission possible for reasons he [didn't wish to reveal].

Several bin makers, incl. others than the "alphas", have, and go by, their own recipes. Most users choose what they honestly like, with stress on the word "like", incl. those who can afford pricier models.

Back to topic, that doesn't seem to hold for some previous vs upgraded models of the same maker, like Z. FL and HT. The fact behind what James says, rocket-fired at us by CJ, won't be contradicted by anyone.

What if the bin one has, or the best one can afford presently, is old hat? To some, as we see, it matters a lot. To many bird watchers, it need not, significantly, at all.

If you've tried a new hat but need to use only your old one just don't try to recall the comparison, and most often you'll lose nothing, in utility or pleasure.

As I type this I have on the table two bins. A Zen Ray ED3 7x43, with its famously good image, and a Nikon EX 7x50, in N.'s optically most basic porro range. When I switch between the two quickly - only needing to look up a bit to see through a window - the ZR is strikingly brighter and sharper. (Though the N. shows better 3D and some colours slightly more anyone would say there's no contest.) But when I just grab the N., to look at birds or bees (note the phrase is literal) or even trees and branches, I see a bright, sharp, wonderful image. I can be fully content with it. Only in a very, very rare instance - I cannot even think of an example - will it not be able to give some detail I seek that the other will.

Another perspective, I think, will be useful here, on bins, and Life in General (since you asked ;-). What does make a big difference, in daylight, is the view through my little 10x25 vs both these. Instantly there's more useful detail! One will easily experience this even with the smaller 10xs, even other than optically the best. The difference in 10x vs 8x and 10x vs 7x is not much in this regard. So sometimes, with steady hands, in daylight, vs a good 10x of any size many will find the 8x42 HT a new hat which is not all that satisfying. And with the 10x42 HT there won't be the field of view many 8xs of lesser optical quality give.

Last edited:
.... The fact behind what James says, rocket-fired at us by CJ, won't be contradicted by anyone ......

Steady on pomp! tensions are high enough on the peninsula as is!! |:p|

Chosun :gh:

P.S. I thought the comment, startling and noteworthy. Even though the transmission increase from the FL to the HT is only around ~3%, there seems to be many little improvements, whose sum of the parts adds up to a much geater whole.

Also, I think it's an example of one of the great *unspoken* reservations here on BF re:- 'alpha's' ...... that is - apart from finding an optical prescription to your liking, made for you fit and feel, life like colour rendition, along with excellent saturation and contrast, with maximal brightness - but no glare! and perfect for you focus speed /feel, along with universally desired smoothness /precision, not to mention the all important view clarity, sharpness, ....... is that ......... buried in the sub-conscious - is that little pesky fear that if I plonk down $2000+ for the latest and greatest you-beaut 'alpha' - what if something is released tomorrow that just pips it at the post?! damn !!

Last edited:
CJ, just as I am about to post the foll. I see your post! Sending exactly as is.

Ron, it's after I sent that in that I read the original post, which is by you. There you speak for the Z. V. FL. That's a pricey bin. But I've always been a bit upset by the stark diparagement I see of lesser bins, which are all that millions of bird watchers can afford, in many cases just have, been presented them, as they cannot afford to spend on any bin. Thought the words "old hat" in the title, and CJ's unequivocal remark (totally innocent) was a good opportunity to set down my thoughts.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back