• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Terra ED (1 Viewer)

Hats of to Dave Barry. The folks who believe they understand mental illness tell us we are all a little bit mentally ill. It is just that some of us control it better than others.

Not only do I agree with the remark by Dave Berry, I often think I strongly resemble the remark.;)

I always figured if I ever need a therapist, it will be an uphill battle to find a therapist who doesn't need a therapist worse than I might.
B :)

I'll read the review and answer later, when I'll have the time.

The interesting thing with the Terra's is that there isn't interest in any of my classifieds (BF, Cloudy Nights and Astrovox, a local astronomy forum) and I said I am open to exchanges and offers. That means that people don't believe how good it is in my opinion, or that it has an unfavorable cost/value quote. So I still have it and I was able to test it with USAF 1951 and see that their resolution difference is so marginal that it might be a placebo.

It seems I will keep it as a guest binocular (and another Zeiss for my kids when I leave this world) and I might add the 32 too, unless I get a Maven B3 for more or less the same money.

The differences between these two Zeiss lines was the first personal experience with the cost/effectiveness curve in binoculars, something I already experienced in other optics using eyepieces from Baader, Explore Scientific and Televue.

I did consider trading my newly received 10X42 Terra for your year old 8X42 Terra but later felt that its not worth the trouble and money shipping for not a lot of difference, unless it is a clear cut great deal. So I decided to keep my 10 and hunt for another 8! Always good to have goals in life. ;)

Lee - Isn't that what you want, for us to start talking about binoculars again? I'm for that. Just making a comment that was intended to be humorous. That's all.

John

Yes John, I took your remark to be humourous too and replied in what I meant to be the same vein. Clearly my humour was too 'English', too dry, and looked a bit serious when it was supposed to be totally silly.

And all this talk about binoculars is OK but needs to be done in the right place, not on here, obviously. (more English silliness)

Lee

..and I'd be interested to know others' views (whether in agreement or otherwise). Especially so from Konstantinos, who recently has (or has had) the same binoculars as me but is replacing them with the equivalent Conquests. He has talked a little about his reasons, but I (for one) would like to know more, especially the trade-offs between better performance and the (substantial) increase in price. That's not a "right or wrong" thing, more a "how did you calculate the value equation?" thing...

...Mike

First of all, I was curious, after reading all these comments in CN and BF about alpha and almost alpha binoculars.
I made the full road in Telescope optics, from Celestron Plossls to Televue Ethos and Delos (couldn't do the same with Obsession and Astrophysics telescopes but I find all my chinese optics fine for what they are intended to do, no astrophotography thankfully). So I knew that you gain a minimal to mediocre upgrade by spending twice to four times as much. In the same time there are people that describe that change as jaw dropping or overwhelming, so I now know that I am a more reserved person. At the same time people complained about things such as edge of field brightness, astigmatism at the extreme edge, coffee tints etc, things that didn't bother me much, so I knew I was more forgiving. Maybe I am a higher f person or have a barlow in mind ;)
But I work a lot, I have some money to spend for myself (around 5% of my income), and since I don't like horseracing, gambling, drinking, womanizing etc, it's all about books, music and hobbies stuff. You know what, books and mp3s don't cost that much today.
On the other hand I was raised a poor boy, so I feel regret after nonsensical spending for luxurious and empty staff. That makes me search for the golden ratio, the best cost/effective choices and equipment that have a beneficial value to price quote. I drive a Hyundai Matrix for 12 years and I need nothing more than that.
Back to binoculars now. I know about optics so I know what I want. Reliable brands amf products that do something better than others. Pentax gave me the short focus, Canon the IS and one of the big 3 (or 4) would give me a glimpse of what makes a quality binocular.
I chose Zeiss because it is a available here. And Terra as an entry, because of the low risk expense.
It was more than I hoped for. The Canon 18x50 IS costs almost 3 times as much and the Terra was better in many respects. Clarity, compactness, ruggedness, ergonomy etc made it my goto binocular. Keeper.
I had a few complaints.
Color aberrations, the italian flag phenomenon. It is non important 95% of the time and situations. But that black shag on a rock had an ugly lateral coloration and a similar green yellow tint followed the shallows flying in a brightly lit sky background.
And I was getting spikes on intense light sources.
And the 56 degrees felt narrow.
These are all. So the Terras are good as an all around binocular, but could be better. Enter Conquest.
I wanted to keep the 8x42 Terra and add a 8x32 Conquest. But a friend sold me his 10 days old 8x42 Conquest.
It has marginally more AFOV. Moderate upgrade here (8x32 has more AFOV).
Spikes are ultra thin and less bright, almost invisible.
Color is there but it is further from the center, paler (more a pale yellow and pink rather than bright green and magenta) and almost absent when I follow that black shallow around (something I enjoy a lot).
They are heavier and longer, but still portable (inside the Terra's velvet string bag).
They had one fragile cord for the objectives covers, so I exchanged cords with the Terras and now they stay in place.
They have too much eye relief, so I get kidney beaning. I don't have the longer eyecaps. I might try the O-ring solution.
Resolution without amplifiers is almost the same.
So it is better but not that much. But better is better so I reach always for the Conquest and not the Terra now. I would use also the Terra if it was a 8x32 or 10x42 though.
I expect Victory HT to be as much better than the Conquest as the Conquest is from the Terra, but since Conquest solved my main two problems with the Terra I don't feel the need to. I just want a lighter 8x30 for more frequent carry and Zeiss Terra, Conquest, Kite Ibis and Maven B3 are in my randar, but I might try a Victory FL, who knows?

Last edited:
Kostas

Very interesting and entertaining.

My personal view of Conquest 8x32 is that it is a very significant improvement in optical quality from Terra 8x32. Whether I would call it a 'step' or a 'leap' or a 'vast improvement' is another matter LOL. In fact I think the Conquest HD 8x32 is the best value 'sweet spot' in the Zeiss range. Certainly HT and SF are better but as you have pointed out the cost increases at a greater rate than the performance, as with all brands.

Lee

Thanks Kostas, it's interesting knowing the different decision-making processes we all use, and the trade-offs we make. I'd guess I'm less affected by CA than others, perhaps including you, and more sensitive to price, weight and size, pretty much in that order. (I find it interesting, for example, that the Conquest 8x32 is barely smaller or lighter than the Terra 8x42.) I wish you well in your search for a smaller binocular that suits you. I ended up with some Vortex Diamondback 8x28s to fit that role for me (that price, weight and size thing again) but I don't imagine they'd suit your needs all that well.

...Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back