• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Argentina in July (1 Viewer)

Rune19

Hi, we are thinking about birding in different parts of Argentina in July this year. Is it a good idea or not? And if so, why?

Thanks in advance!

Hi, we are thinking about birding in different parts of Argentina in July this year. Is it a good idea or not? And if so, why?

Thanks in advance!

It's a big place!

My experience is limited to January and February but I found the birding was great :D

Suggest investigating the areas you are interested in on ebird, filtered for the month you're planning to go.

It's a big place!

My experience is limited to January and February but I found the birding was great :D

Suggest investigating the areas you are interested in on ebird, filtered for the month you're planning to go.

Hi. Thanks.

I agree it's a big country. And because some areas might not be suitable I do not want to give any limitations before I have some good input.

North of Argentina is warm in July, but shorter days like in summer.
I was twice in north Argentina.
I started middle of October. This was very good time, because longer days and more birds because migration.
At first travel I had much sun, at the second also many rain.
In some nationalparks it is a risk to enter with normal car in this time.
e.g. Murubuya, I think aslo Ibera can be problem in rain time.

July is very sunny weather in north Argentina.
Especially in the mountains the view can be extrem good.
But nights can be very cold e.g. in Humahuace and Laguna los Pozuelas.

In July I was only in Bolivia, for mountain climbing many years ago.
At the border to Chile, the view was about 300 km from the peaks.

Last edited:
If You go to northern Argentina, I suggest go via Sao Paulo International to Foz de Igauzo.
Via Buenos Aires You have to change from internation to national, which can take depended on traffic 1,5 to 3h or even longer.
In Sao Paulo flights from international possible, also to Foz de Iguazu.
Transfer to Argentina via taxi is easy.

If You go to northern Argentina, I suggest go via Sao Paulo International to Foz de Igauzo.
Via Buenos Aires You have to change from internation to national, which can take depended on traffic 1,5 to 3h or even longer.

Thanks for your comments albatross02 :)

In July you will miss the frenetic activity of the breeding season (~September - February) and a handful of breeding migrants but otherwise I think most of Argentina would be pretty good, except maybe the far south.

I will put a trip report up on BF at some point from my visit earlier this year. I saw 326 species in six weeks - with five weeks doing research work in the Parque Costera del Sur 'reserve', so pure birding time was a few days in the north east (Iguasu,Uruguay-i , Andresito - Surucua Lodge) around New Years and a few days around Salta / Pre-Puna mid-February.
July is probably a bit cold for the Andean Pre-Puna / Puna so low activity. But the Yungas around Salta / Jujuy would still be good, and less likely to be rained off in July.
July in Missones I would expect would be fine, less likely to be rained off and quieter (people wise) than other times of year. I can't recommend the Surucua lodge highly enough if you get the chance to stay there. Adrian who runs the lodge with his wife is an excellent wildlife photographer and took us out to find Red-ruffed Fruitcrow, White-bearded Manakin and a stack of other good birds.

July is a cold month in most of the country but the northern provinces, like Misiones, Formosa, etc. Nevertheless, there are some interesting winter migration patterns allowing you to see, for example, patagonian species at Buenos Aires, Andean birds at lower altitude, or some cotingas at Misiones. July is also the peak of winter holidays; everywhere is crowded with local tourism, so I would avoid places like Iguazú National Park, etc. Places like Surucua Lodge or our own lodge are a better option for those days, if you are interested mainly on birding (winter holidays goes from July 10 to July 28)

July is a cold month in most of the country but the northern provinces, like Misiones, Formosa, etc. Nevertheless, there are some interesting winter migration patterns allowing you to see, for example, patagonian species at Buenos Aires, Andean birds at lower altitude, or some cotingas at Misiones. July is also the peak of winter holidays; everywhere is crowded with local tourism, so I would avoid places like Iguazú National Park, etc. Places like Surucua Lodge or our own lodge are a better option for those days, if you are interested mainly on birding (winter holidays goes from July 10 to July 28)

Thanks!
I can also take the trip in June. Would that be a better choice regarding people everywhere and will the possible amount of birds be similar to July?

In July you will miss the frenetic activity of the breeding season (~September - February) and a handful of breeding migrants but otherwise I think most of Argentina would be pretty good, except maybe the far south.

I will put a trip report up on BF at some point from my visit earlier this year. I saw 326 species in six weeks - with five weeks doing research work in the Parque Costera del Sur 'reserve', so pure birding time was a few days in the north east (Iguasu,Uruguay-i , Andresito - Surucua Lodge) around New Years and a few days around Salta / Pre-Puna mid-February.
July is probably a bit cold for the Andean Pre-Puna / Puna so low activity. But the Yungas around Salta / Jujuy would still be good, and less likely to be rained off in July.
July in Missones I would expect would be fine, less likely to be rained off and quieter (people wise) than other times of year. I can't recommend the Surucua lodge highly enough if you get the chance to stay there. Adrian who runs the lodge with his wife is an excellent wildlife photographer and took us out to find Red-ruffed Fruitcrow, White-bearded Manakin and a stack of other good birds.

Thanks. Much appreciated!

How is about Karadya in this time ?
Like parque provinciales Uruguai, it is not far from Iguazu.
In October Karadya and pp Urugai was excellent for birding.
I started in Salta via Cabra Corral, Humahuaca, Laguna Los Pozuelos, Calilegua, El Ray, Formosa, Pilcomayo, NP Grand Chaco, Murubuya, Cruce Caballero, Uruguai, Karadya and Iguazu, I defined with Karadya and Guy Cox help about 470 differnt birds in 4 weeks.

Info for Guy Cox
https://www.tourhq.com/guide/ar98548/guy-cox
http://birdingmisiones.blogspot.de/

Surucuya I can't remember.
There are different birding spots in this area.
Also parc provenciales Araucaria in San Pedro.

All are reachable with normal car, except Cruce Caballero.
Cruce Cabellero is very nice parc.

http://www.toucanbirding.com/birding-localities/

Surucua is lodge in the Atlantic Forest past Andresito, near the Iguasu River. It was on my itinerary to stay there independent of my time out with Guy. But Guy knows them so ended up also staying there with his family. It was very excellent (as a lodge, and as a wildlife / birding spot)

Thanks!
I can also take the trip in June. Would that be a better choice regarding people everywhere and will the possible amount of birds be similar to July?

Yes, at the north the amount of birds will be similar, with a little less activity of raptors (raptors start mating at late July, early August), but with the always fascinating presence of mixed flocks. But it will be definitely a lot less people everywhere, especially at places like Iguazu. Prices will be mucho lower I guess, because it is recognized as lower season for tourism. August is even better.

How is about Karadya in this time ?
Like parque provinciales Uruguai, it is not far from Iguazu.
In October Karadya and pp Urugai was excellent for birding.
I started in Salta via Cabra Corral, Humahuaca, Laguna Los Pozuelos, Calilegua, El Ray, Formosa, Pilcomayo, NP Grand Chaco, Murubuya, Cruce Caballero, Uruguai, Karadya and Iguazu, I defined with Karadya and Guy Cox help about 470 differnt birds in 4 weeks.

Info for Guy Cox
https://www.tourhq.com/guide/ar98548/guy-cox
http://birdingmisiones.blogspot.de/

Karadya is always great for birding my friend! At 2016 Big Day (ebird, May) we saw 138 species in 24 hs. We hope to break that record this year!

I definitely second that, plus the flights via Sao Paolo or Rio are much cheaper than via BA. At Iguazu the Argentinian side of the falls is much better, as has been discussed exhaustively elsewhere. Also make sure you visit some of the other lodges in Misiones - the park around the falls is good but quite busy.

I would also recommend spending some time in the northwest (from the Ibera wetlands via the chaco to the Andes) and in the Buenos Aires area. This website has excellent information: http://www.birdingbuenosaires.com/ The city reserves are well worth it for a day or two, and the Ceibas area in southern Entre Rios is a must. I can recommend the Rio de las Aves lodge (http://www.riodelasaves.com/) - they want to attract birdwatchers and have an impressive list on their property, plus good lodging (cheap hostel style or plush suites) and amazing food. Otamendi on the way is the best site for both Reedhaunters, and to the east of BA you have Punta Rasa with Olrog's Gull, loads of waders and pampa species.

There's not much reason to go further south, although note that world champion Arjan Dwarshuis visited southern Patagonia in mid-August and still got some good birds down there (https://www.dutchbirding.nl/arjansbiggestyear/1292/august_17_-_20_argentina_3_chile_1). Plus the scenery is amazing and as a Norwegian I'm sure you'll find the weather pleasant enough ;)

Finally, a shameless plug for my friend Laura Dodyk who is an excellent guide in the BA/Ceibas area: http://lauraves.com/

Hope this helps, have an amazing trip!
Joost

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back